[java] java + networking api?

Started by
2 comments, last by kneeride 20 years, 5 months ago
is there a netorking api for java similar to MS''s DirectPlay. ie connection support, guaranteed, non guaranteed, ordered packets. message throttling. tcp doesnt have enough control + i cant be bothered writing/testing connection/message throttling code etc ontop of UDP.
Advertisement
there are many network apis, for every taste and purposes.

JSDT or Java Shared Data Toolkit is the one which is closest to directPlay''s structure: you create managed sessions, join as client...

RMI or Remote Method Invocation is a standart part of JSE, it''s a layer covering the basics of communication and where you call directly methods on remote objects. Example: myRemoteObject.doThis(...); where myRemoteObject is a reference to a remote object.

nio or new io is an improvement of the previous io api, which has evrything needed for low level networking. Raw and direct socket communication.

JavaSpaces fits perfectly to manage loosely coupled communication. It really acts like an independant universe on the web where you add/remove/replace objects.

these are the main ones.

I guess the JSDT api will best fit your needs if you''re looking for something like directPlay. It''s a superb api, i would even say it''s functionnability is beyond directPlay''s one, and fits perfectly for channel based managed sessions.
For low level network access, raw communication, nio fits the best.

cheers
You also have JGroups.

WS
thanks dudes. thisll keep me busy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement