Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

picture/image question

This topic is 5149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok - so i''ve taken all the NHL logo''s from NHL.com the exact URL is http://nhl.com/lineups/team/index.html now - they all have white backgrounds... ok here''s my question when i used them in my VB project in a picturebox - a few of them have their white background - but some of them for some reason turn to gray backgrounds - the gray that the project is (that default gray that the buttons, forms, tabs and what not are) so - why is this happening? i''d actually prefer if they all turned that gray... that would help me out and make the project look better to be specific it''s LA, PHX and WSH''s logos that turn their white backgrounds into gray ones.

to be a little more specific

it''s not just turning gray - it''s actually turning the backcolor of the picture box - so if i make it black then the white around the logo becomes black. this is perfect for my project - but just the 3 pictures do it. any idea how to get the rest to do it (what''s causing the 3 to do it?)

GIF images can contain transparent pixels, so the background will show through at those points. i guess they only bothered doing it on some of those images or something; you can probably fix up the rest with gimp or photoshop or paint shop pro or something.

but, it is illegal to use those logos without permission from the trademark owners, even if you aren''t trying to sell the game using them.

would you copyright poo pushers shut up?
i have nhl logos all over my room that i''ve hand drawn. i doubt i''m going to get sued for it.
wizzy is probably only useing the logos cause he''s a hockey fan and needed something to practice displaying images with. quit bitching that he''s using "copyrighted" material in this little insignifigant project he''s working on, and help the poor guy out with his problem. this is a game programming forum. not some bitch at the tiniest little bullshit things.
grow up

quote:
Original post by iNfuSeD
would you copyright poo pushers shut up?
i have nhl logos all over my room that i''ve hand drawn. i doubt i''m going to get sued for it.
wizzy is probably only useing the logos cause he''s a hockey fan and needed something to practice displaying images with. quit bitching that he''s using "copyrighted" material in this little insignifigant project he''s working on, and help the poor guy out with his problem. this is a game programming forum. not some bitch at the tiniest little bullshit things.
grow up

And would you please stop over-reacting to what was a valid point...

If he just keeps the project the logos are used in to himself (i.e. educational purposes), and never releases the logos into the public domain, then as you say there isn''t really a problem. Just as there isn''t a problem with your hand drawn NHL logos which you aren''t publishing anywhere apart from your private room wall.

If however he uses the trademark, logos or even likenesses of them and releases the project into the **public domain** there IS a chance the license owners won''t be happy. They likewise wouldn''t be happy if you started selling (or even giving away) copies of your hand drawn logos in any form.

I can think of quite a few cases where people have made freeware and shareware games and demos using a licensed logo, character, trademark etc and been contacted by the license holder.

In all the cases I know of however, they''ve just recieved a "cease and disist" letter from the license owners lawyers - once they''ve complied with the terms (usually just "remove all references to our trademarks") that''s the end of it.

If you''re making money from the logos however, or doing something defamatory - they may try to get damages.

Due to things such as conterfeit sportswear, fake tickets etc, sporting license owners are particularly vigilent with this stuff (a few of the top-10 video games publishers have been taken to court over the years over sports licenses where they''d gone a tiny bit outside of the agreement).

Take a look at: http://www.capsinfo.com/ to see how seriously they take logo use...

--
Simon O''Connor
3D Game Programmer &
Microsoft DirectX MVP

hmm this copyright stuff gives me an idea

maybe instead of making an NHL simulator i''ll just make a hockey sim... where you start with a certain amount of teams - and they''re all fictional - as well as the players... then in the future the league can actually be expanded and contracted...

i could let you set up how the schedule works and all that junk... like how many games a year - playoff formats

maybe it''ll give me more incentive to work on it - since EHM: FE is coming out... my project seems pointless - but a completely new league simulator would be interesting

quote:
Original post by iNfuSeD
blah blah blah

whoa! hey, i was just pointing out something important if he does release it in any way!

it''s not like i called him a sinner or was rude about it or anything...