Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Some Info

This topic is 5146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright im looking to start making some games. I have been reading about c but from what i have read i need to learn visual c++... is this right? I''m only 15 and im looking into a c++ class at a local college, and I also need to know if this is a good decision? I also would like to know if characters and models etc are made with 3ds max and how it interacts with the programming etc. I appreciate everyone that helps, Thanks. -SeXc

Characters and models CAN be made with 3dSMax, or with many other programs as well (a common one being Maya i believe), but almost all of these programs are quite expensive. You should probably focus more on just the actual coding at first, as once you get good you generally work with an artist and do very little or no modelling yourself.

Yes, learning C++ is an excellent idea, especially if you''re interested in game programming. Just remember that the actual programming language is called C++ and not Visual C++, the latter is a Microsoft IDE (Integrated Development Environment) which includes a compiler (a compiler is a program that converts your C++ code into a set of instructions that the computer can understand, so it can then generate an executable file for you). If you haven''t already got a compiler, then here is an excellent freeware one, but since you are a student you should be able to pick up an introductory version of MSVC++ from your local college.

And on the topic of 3D Modellers, Milkshape 3D is a pretty good one, and it''s quite cheap compared to most others.