Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a few noob questions

This topic is 5149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m using Paint Shop Pro right now is that a good graphics program? Anyway I''m just getting started with this so I don''t have a clue which program to use. Also I''ve been thinking about giving computer art a shot and choose that as my career since is something I would like to do, would it be a good move if you don''t have much experience with graphic programs? Right now I''m 16 so maybe it''s sort of late for that...Some links would help too thanks..

Guest Anonymous Poster
Having experience with art programs isn''t as big a deal as having creativity. If you truly love creating, then learning how to use software is a no brainer.

Paint shop pro is a good program, but if you plan on computer art as a career, you need to learn Photoshop.

For free graphics software I prefer using the Gimp (www.gimp.org). I don''t have anything bad to say about Pain Shop Pro, but then again, I have nothing good to say about it either; it just been too long since I''ve even looked at it.

Doing computer graphics art is much like any other art field - you really have to be committed in order to make a career out of it. If you''ve been drawing/painting/sketching/doodling your entire life, then you might have a shot.

One other thing, if you really want to make a career out of it, get a graphics tablet as soon as possible. I couldn''t prove in court, but I would swear that using a mouse too much for art some how inflicts damage upon a person''s artistic abilities.

The tool of the pros is, as the AP said, Photoshop. A graphics tablet is a good idea as well. Also you may want to get a scanner. A lot of artists still draw the outlines on paper and then scan them in and colour them.

Check out http://www.polykarbon.com/ for someone who does this professionally. He also has many tutorials.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

Do not interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napolean Bonaparte

If you''re thinking about getting into art, don''t buy any painting/drawing software at first. You should try it out with just a pencil and paper. It''s cheaper that way, and you''re not stuck in one place all the time.