windows font set? or texture font set?

Started by
1 comment, last by firecast 20 years, 5 months ago
hi! i''ve got a question... which one of these is faster? and if texture... how should i order the characters on the texture, is there a predefined order? which format should save it as? thanks in advance!!
This really pisses me off!!
Advertisement
Both CD3DFont and ID3DXFont create a texture font set in the background (just in different ways).

The main reason to use a pre-made texture font set these days is to have a customized font (colours, style, etc). This way your font becomes part of your game art.

If you do a Google search for Bitmap Font Builder, you''ll find a utility that will create a font texture from a Windows font, then you can customize the texture yourself.

I always save mine as PNGs since they support alpha and are nicely compressed.

I don''t think the order really matters.
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
I agree with the previous poster... the main reason to use your own fonts is for appearance and originality. Windows fonts are plain jane, and very recognizable. Using bitmap fonts also allows your text to have more than one color (wow!)

I''d recommend you order the characters according to ANSI, because it saves a conversion step when drawing text on screen. I''ve already seen a huge switch statement to map a font from ANSI to its own ordering, and believe me it wasn''t pretty!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement