Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Developing, building, and testing. How do it the best? Learning from the world leader

This topic is 5147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Developing, building, and testing. How do it the best? Learning from the world leader - Microsoft I''m very interested in how the developing/build/testing workflow @ Microsoft looks like. I think Microsoft as world leader in software developing business must have a very good workflow. Does anyone know how the development flow @ Microsoft looks like? I''m also interested in the workflow in your company perhaps the workflow in your company better then @ Microsoft? What do you think about test driven development? Regards, Gicio

Guest Anonymous Poster
Are you looking for a job at microsoft or something?

As far as microsoft testing, i thought they just released software (bugs and all) and waited for people to complain about bugs, then release some patches.

quote:
Original post by gicio
Developing, building, and testing. How do it the best? Learning from the world leader - Microsoft

Who says they are the best at developing, building and testing? Perhaps you think the fact that they make the most money means they are the best? You need to look to their S&M department for that, not the development teams.

Go pick up a book called Code Complete. It''s more about development than procedure, but it''s written by someone who works for Microsoft and it does cover a fair amount of project planning and procedures / best practices.

They do have very good testing and workflow techniques...they also have huge products.

I''m currently in the process of getting an internship there (just finished 1st round of interviews) and they told me that testing involves a lot of in-house custom written test tools to automate testing...a huge staff of dedicated testing people, all communicating the main bugs back to the programmers, the SDE''s, and Program Managers (people who manage a specific featureset of a product).

There''s info on their site. Check it out.

VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.

> Go pick up a book called Code Complete.

Books like ''Code Complete'' and ''Debugging the Development Process'' will give you a programmer''s view on how things are done. Period.

But ''Microsoft Secrets'' by Michael Cusumano goes a lot deeper and discusses how people are hired & managed, what roles each individuals take in developping software, how the daily build process works, how planning and resources coordination is performed, how they ship products, and how the different technologies fit in the overall product development strategy. The book also answers the more fundamental question: WHY they do things the way they do it.

-cb