Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

set velocity at a point on rotating object

This topic is 5147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi.. I''d like to know if there are any existing algorythims for what I''m about to discribe, I''ve written a good approximation (had a flash of inspiration ), but it''s quite ugly-ish and slow-ish (takes around 20+ lines when unrolled)... And I''d guess there is a much nicer way to do it... the problem: basically, given an object with a linear and rotatioanl velocity, centre of mass, etc... And a point P somewhere on the object, with a certain velocity of it''s own, what is the (minimum) force required to get that point P moving at a new velocity... say.. for example, if a car is flying through the air, spinning, and you wanted to suddenly stop the very front edge of the car in mid air (as if it were teathered - but letting the rest keep moving in some way - just that one point stops), what force would you need to apply at that point...? cheers. | - Project-X - On hold (kindof ).. - | - adDeath - | - email me - |

ohh yeah I'm working on the simple basis that applying a force does:

linear velocity += force
rotational velocity += (point X force) / matrix

plus all the mass/inertia stuff, but I'm ignoring that just now..

cheers again.

| - Project-X - On hold (kindof ).. - | - adDeath - | - email me - |

[edited by - RipTorn on November 12, 2003 8:33:00 AM]

>>linear velocity += force
>>rotational velocity += (point X force) / matrix

i would think u want that to be:

linear velocity += acceleration
rotational velocity += (point X acceleration) / matrix

but back to your original question:

>>what is the (minimum) force required to get that point P moving at a new velocity...

well, if you want that to be instant... the answer is that your force will be infinite...

so basically thats not possible... you need to apply a force over a very short certain peroid of time, this is refered to as an Impulse...