Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full blown bumpmapping

This topic is 6363 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is more of a "hardware capabilities" discussion, but I found this board the most appropriate. I''m just wondering, with current generation 3D Acceleration hardware is it possible to bumpmap every single triangle? I mean for each texture we would create a heightmap and apply it to every triangle in the world. This would increase the realizm by A LOT. Is it possible?

I think it''s possible but I''ve heard that if you start adding more than 1 light in the scene it slows down exponentially (Due to the nature of the calculations) So if you added 10 lights your game wouldn''t even be considered running! SO it''d sort of defeat the purpose of bump mapping in that you want to see the detail and you could achieve the same level of detail with simple textures as with bump mapping and one light.

I could be very wrong though, I''m speaking mostly from what I''ve heard, so look around a bit more..
- Ben

On the latest generations of hardware it''s possible to apply good bump mapping as textures (notice I say *good*--embossing has been available on some hardware for a while). With Matrix and a few others there''s environment mapped bump mapping, and with the GeForce II it can be done using their per-pixel lighting stuff. I don''t think any of 3dfx''s latest products support it though.