Online sound libraries

Started by
3 comments, last by asdasd12345 20 years, 5 months ago
Hello. I would like to download some sounds for my breakout clone game that are free for anyone to use, and are a little bit more advanced than just beeps and blips. I have no idea how to put sounds into my game though. Is there anywhere you can download free sounds for games, and a tutorial on how to use them?
http://www.geocities.com/asdasd12345/
Advertisement
In order to use sounds in your games you will need a sound library like FMOD which is free and can play lots of different audio formats. To find some free sounds have a look at this web site - www.findsounds.com or do a google search for "free sound effects".

To get FMOD visit here: www.fmod.org
<< In order to use sounds in your games you will need a sound library like FMOD which is free >>

Your choices are FMOD, or DirectSound if you want to mix sounds (play more than one WAV at once). A simpler option is PlaySound function in Windows, but this is limited to playing one sound at a time. To use PlaySound with resources (WAVs inside your .exe, creating a .rc and .h for your sounds)

PlaySound(MAKEINTRESOURCE(SOUND_PADDLE), game_instance, SND_ASYNC | SND_RESOURCE);

game_instance is your global hinstance, SOUND_PADDLE is the name of your sound in your .rc and .h files

You can use it to play from files also instead of resources, look that up here

Win PlaySound( )

My DirectSound demo (from DirectX 6/7) if you wanna learn that, a bit more complex but you get to mix multiple WAV files at once. I use the handy DSLoadSoundBuffer which is part of dsutil

DirectSoundDemo.cpp | EXE

WAV files themselves can be found all over the net, use Google

Phil P

[edited by - PhilVaz on November 13, 2003 4:59:54 PM]
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure with fmod you can play back multiple sounds at a time by playing the sounds through different channels, although I haven't used it yet myself.

Having used directsound before, using fmod seems like a much easier solution

[edited by - CorryGT on November 13, 2003 5:09:39 PM]
FMOD is way superior to DSOUND. Crossplatform too if that is important to you. I haven''t seen any sound library that beats FMOD yet for performance, stability and simplicity. Try FMOD and you''ll be laughing ;-)
No no no no! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement