Advice Needed !! :3D Engine / Toolkit

Started by
4 comments, last by pars 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I am working on my final year individual university project involving artificial life and ai (investigating immergent behaviour / flocking) in a 3D environment. It will probably have a Black & White type interface / view point. I would like to get some hands on experience with making a graphics engine, but am not sure if this is realistic given the timescale (about 6 months, during which I''ll be attending lectures / doing coursework etc), and the fact that the AI part of the project needs to be done too. I would appreciate any advice about this, or perhaps suggestions of open-source 3D engines / toolkits. I haven''t decided about whether to use Direct3D or OpenGL yet, but cross-platform support isn''t an issue. Ideally I''d like to use something that''s fast, flexible, and leaves room for me to implement things myself. Many thanks, Billy
----Khalije Hamishegiye Faars!!!!
Advertisement
i personally dislike DirectX, so I use OpenGL. OpenGL is fairly hard to learn and use though, in my opion, so it you are working on you''re final porject, I wouldn''t take the time to write a graphics engine. DirectX is a little easier to use, but the quality of the finished product is not as good as OpenGL, again this is only my opinion. Besides, AI looks good enough without a GUI, if that''s what you want to create for it. All my AI apps so far have not used a GUI.

neo88
My Kung Fu is stronger.May the Source be with you.neo88
quote:
DirectX is a little easier to use, but the quality of the finished product is not as good as OpenGL, again this is only my opinion.

Well, its my opinion that your opinion is completely wrong. All other things being equal the output from DX and OGL should be practically identical.

Personally I would go with OGL, since its easier to pick up in a limited time period. Dont worry too much about writing an "engine". Just get some meshes on the screen. The NeHe tutorials can guide you through that.

Dx9 and OGL = similiar..... go check it out the tutorial at

http://www.gametutorials.com
:)
quote:Original post by neo88
i personally dislike DirectX, so I use OpenGL. OpenGL is fairly hard to learn and use though, in my opion, so it you are working on you''re final porject, I wouldn''t take the time to write a graphics engine. DirectX is a little easier to use, but the quality of the finished product is not as good as OpenGL, again this is only my opinion. Besides, AI looks good enough without a GUI, if that''s what you want to create for it. All my AI apps so far have not used a GUI.

neo88

yeah, you''re right, HL2 looks like crap...

*rolls eyes*

honestly man, there is very little difference between the quality of openGL and DirectX. The only differences that I know of is that directx does a bunch of stuff for you.

Maybe you could use an existing open source 3D engine (like crystalspace, or try to find one with google), I never actually used something like that myself, so I don''t know if it may actually save time, but at least it''s a suggestion...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement