Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone who can recommend the best PHP book?

This topic is 5142 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is your skill level and what version of php?

For php4 and being a beginner programmer, "Beginning PHP4" from Wrox should suffice.

For php4 and being a non-beginner programmer, "Professional PHP4 Programming" also by Wrox is a decent pick.

Also, there is php5 that is coming out and I am not sure how much of a change there is going to be between php4 and php5 in considering investing in a book that might/might not become obsolete.

EDIT: Both cover MySQL databases.

|PicRepository|PicIndex|
IM : CScoder@aol.com/ahmed7500@hotmail.com
The Gatekeeper of quotes passé:
"How Appropriate. You fight like a cow" --Sneftel

[edited by - nervo on November 13, 2003 2:13:14 PM]

I guess I would say I''m a beginning programmer. I know html and can work javascript and have looked at asp before (and can piece basic stuff together in it too) I''ve read some c++ (also from a book from Wrox btw.)

Thanks keep the suggestions coming please

Also how long before the PHP5 book will come out - and what does the proffesional book contain that the beginner book does not?

Thanks

I didn't use any books to learn PHP; I found it very easy going from C[++] to PHP. The function library is patterned after C's (for example, stricmp() for case-insensitive string comparisons, printf() for formatted output, etc.) and everything you'd ever need to know about any function can be found at php.net. Here are some I found useful to bookmark:

String functions
File functions
date()
Image routines
Uploading files

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on November 13, 2003 4:21:06 PM]

SQL is a command syntax, MySQL and Access are implementations of databases accessed with SQL. Therefore, the only functions you need to know are:

mysql_connect
mysql_select_db
mysql_close
mysql_query
mysql_result
mysql_num_rows

Search php.net for those functions to see how to use them, and search Google for "SQL" to see how to use it. Don''t look for "SQL +PHP" because SQL is only a syntax, it''s independent from what language you''re using.

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

These two, in conjunction, are all you need:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Reference.html

EDIT:

This article might help tie them together:

http://www.mysql.com/articles/ddws/index.html - Building a Database-Driven Web Site Using PHP and MySQL

[edited by - CWizard on November 13, 2003 8:47:09 PM]

Great! Thanks a lot - i'll start reading right away.

Edit - If anyone has more links like the last one (or the others) feel free to paste them in this thread, the more the better!! )

[edited by - YipMan on November 14, 2003 10:13:29 AM]

Check out "Core PHP Programming" by Leon Atkinson. It covers PHP 5 and is one of the better written technical books I''ve read. Examples are just simple enough to show you how to do stuff without dumbing it down so much that they are useless. I''d highly recommend it. It covers how to connect to most databases like mySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.

ATS