Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectDraw/Visual C++ oddity...

This topic is 6361 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, I''m not exactly complaining or anything (although I''d like to figure out how to make this stop happening), but I''ve noticed something odd. I''m just starting in game programming [hides behind a -3 Newbie Shield] and I''m trying to write a game. FYI, I know C/C++ already, and I''ve written Pong in Windows GDI. So, I''m not one of those "Come help me write a 3D game! I just got Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours" types. Now that I''ve justified my existance, here''s the oddity. I''m writing an interface module for DirectDraw (for a small number of reasons) in a seperate library (which also includes an error-handling object). All of the interface pointers, surface pointers, etc. are global (to the module). I''m using DirectX 6.0 because I''m too lazy to read the DirectX 7.0 SDK. Anyhow, in my initialization function, I have a temporary interface pointer to IDirectDraw (you know the routine, get that interface, then query for IDirectDraw4). Oddly enough, Visual C++''s Statement Completion feature only seems to work when I''m typing a call to DirectDrawCreate(), lpddTemp->QueryInterface() for IDirectDraw4, and lpddTemp->Release(). Whenever I''m using any other DirectDraw object/structure, Statement Completion simply does nothing. I''m just wondering...does this happen to anyone else or is it just me? And...how can I change it? P h a n t a s m -- "Through dreams I influence mankind."

Have you added the appropriate Direct3d header files to the project''s source code folders? Those header files are pretty spread out, there are a couple different ones you have to add to expand structures, interfaces, functions etc...

Yea that happens to me too sometimes, what i do is open up the direct draw header file, put a space, delete the space, and complie. That way it thinks the header file has been changed. For some reason after doing this it works.

+AA_970+

Jon: I''m...not using Direct3D. I''m a newbie. Just dumb enough to actually try and make an "original" game my first time ''round. I''m just using DirectDraw...and I''m pretty sure there''s only one necessesary header.

+AA_970+: Okay...I''ll try that, thanks. Hopefully, it''ll work. Darn MS...

P h a n t a s m -- "Through dreams I influence mankind."