[java] Need help with SEEING Java

Started by
6 comments, last by Justaddwater 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi all! I havent found a good forum to get info on this but I will try here and see if anyone has any ideas Both of the computers on my home network stopped displaying Java. I have attempted to go to Sun and download the files and it Error''s out each time. I have tried to uninstall the Java on my computers and it just flashes the screen fast but nothing happens. It feels like some sorta viruss or something but I have recent norton installed and always update it. Any help would be awesome... the wife is very sad about not being able to load pogo games!
Advertisement
I don''t mean this to be rude, but did either of you ever get that virus warning thing that''s like, there''s this teddy bear program that is a big virus that you need to delete, and then you deleted it?
<< It feels like some sorta virus or something but I have recent norton installed and always update it. Any help would be awesome... the wife is very sad about not being able to load pogo games! >>

First, you could run Internet Explorer install/reinstall in Add/Remove Programs and select Repair, or just go to Windows Update and upgrade to latest version of IE, and that could fix the problem. Also make sure Java is enabled, in IE Tools --> Internet Options --> Security tab --> Custom Level --> check Java Enable

Also, since Microsoft lost their battle with Sun, the Microsoft Virtual Machine is not supported anymore. Though if your computer is older than 1 year it still should have MS VM.

You could also check your browser for hijack attempts, I use LavaSoft Ad-aware, run that and let it fix any changes to your browser. Catches things that Norton might not. If you''ve been visiting "bad" sites that attempt to change how IE works, Ad-aware can get rid of those changes. Very good program and its free for personal use.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware

Phil P
I have logging on, cant see anythign there... I have installed and ran both Adaware and Spybot as well as Norton.. nothing!

I have tried using the logging option, nothing...

I can;t seem to find Internet Explorer listed in control panel, not sure what the deal with that is, but since I cant see it I cant repair it.

I have tried downloading IE again but of course the downloader just laughs at me, since I already have latest version...

any more ideas?

thanks
You need to go to your add/remove programs in your control panel. Open that and select Internet Explorer. Click Add/Remove and choose the repair option.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

Do not interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napolean Bonaparte
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Ok thanks, only problem.. IE isnt listed in add/remove...

ideas?
Re-install the OS. If it is messed up that bad, there''s no telling what else will happen. Doing a clean install will help a lot of things.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

Do not interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napolean Bonaparte
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
quote:Original post by Justaddwater
I have logging on, cant see anythign there... I have installed and ran both Adaware and Spybot as well as Norton.. nothing!

I have tried using the logging option, nothing...

I can;t seem to find Internet Explorer listed in control panel, not sure what the deal with that is, but since I cant see it I cant repair it.

I have tried downloading IE again but of course the downloader just laughs at me, since I already have latest version...

any more ideas?

thanks

By downloader, you mean IE6setup?
Doubleclick on IE6setup . Chose "minimal or custom" installation click on IE browser and other stuff you''d need and it might be smart to cache files for Offline installation, if you are on dial up.
Have you scanned your system? You should do it BEFORE installation. And by two different antiviruses with lastest update.
If you are on 98 you could jump into DOS and type scanreg. Then choose restore backup, and hope you have backup created before that problem.

It might be smart to run regclean after scanning so you''d throw away at least some uglyness from registers.

Can you run Java aplications? If so it would be just broken binding between IE and applets. Using applet viewer or browser writen in Java would help. Translated don''t be hasty to reinstall OS and rather try to use brain.

If you, after few days of trying, won''t find better solution than reinstall OS then don''t forget to create backups. At least backups of your mail storage.

As sidenote learn how to work with a computer please. Going into add/remove programs isn''t only way how you could add/remove programs from your computer and at least basic skill of registry editing is helpfull.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement