which IDE do you use ?

Started by
56 comments, last by Strife 19 years, 10 months ago
Emacs intellisense? Have not tried it...

http://cedet.sourceforge.net/intellisense.shtml
Advertisement
Silly emacs coders.

Wait, I code in emacs! !@#$
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
listing member functions *is not* listing function arguments
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
http://www.parinya.ca/ , a cool clone of MSVC

This thing looks damn good. I'm definitly going to give it a try...

EDIT: I've tried it already. It is quite neat. Sadly it lacks of a "class browser", but its still worth using it.

[edited by - owl on December 16, 2003 7:34:43 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Heh. I always feel inadequate when people start talking about how it slows them down to have to reach for the mouse, etc... The impression they give is that they are coding at 1000 miles a minute, smoke pouring out of their keyboard like something out of a bad hacker movie. I personally don''t code anywhere near as fast as I can type. My coding is usually methodical, thoughtful, filled with pauses as I think about the best way to structure something, etc. When I try to code at 1000 miles a minute like some hopped-up rabbit, that is when I make mistakes. In my case, reaching for the mouse isn''t so much a slowdown as it is a necessary pause as I switch files, to readjust my thinking to whatever I will be editing next. Maybe I''m just slower than everyone else, but I rather doubt it.

I use emacs not because it speeds me up, and not because of some misguided attempt to be viewed by others as some sort of elite guru kernel hacker, but because it works even when X doesn''t, and trying to edit a configuration file with a dead X and no knowledge of anything that doesn''t make have a menu bar and a context menu is not my idea of a good time. I got comfortable with emacs while learning the ins and outs of Linux, and so I use it.

It is pretty damned powerful, though, and I for one certainly don''t miss Visual Whatever all that much.

The OP seems to want a straight across clone of Visual Whatever that works under Linux; I''m not sorry to say that there isn''t one, to the best of my knowledge. Anjuta, KDevelop, vim, emacs, Kate, GEdit, NEdit, CoolEdit, Eclipse, etc... all have their good points and their bad, just as Visual Eh? does, and anybody who lets their coding habits be too strongly dictated by one, to the exclusion of all others as viable prospects, probably isn''t wise. If Visual Whatever is so perfect and the OP is unwilling to consider learning anything else, perhaps he should stick with it instead of flaming others for their choices when they suggest alternatives.

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem: Lands of Shadow, an isometrically rendered hack-and-slash inspired equally by Nethack and Diablo.
Maybe I''m old-school, but I just use VIM and write my makefiles by hand.
I think we programmers have the right to demand for a cool and user friendly tool that we’re personally comfortable with. I’m not objecting to emacs or VIM or anything, but please try to understand that different people enjoy different things from different perspectives. When we say we want a MSVC like IDE please don’t tell us no you don’t want it.
This being said, I do have something DJSnow might want to give a shot on. Try this thing called magic C++ at www.magicunix.com. It’s very MSVC like, for one thing, and it’s cross platform, for the other. Supports client/server too so you can work from home.
Necromancy. Closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement