which IDE do you use ?

Started by
56 comments, last by Strife 19 years, 10 months ago
hi; which IDE do you linux dev''s use ? i''m asking myself if there is a good IDE which is as perfect as MSVC6 + VA ?? some opinions ??
DJSnow --- this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
Advertisement
A lot of unix developers tend to use text editors

Personally I tend to use Nedit... It''s mostly just a text editor, but does syntax highlighting for just about every language you can think of, plus a couple of other nice features.

For an IDE though, KDevelop seems to be popular (I haven''t tried it, but I get the feeling it may be geared mostly towards developing KDE apps). Anjuta is also quite popular and from the little bit I have used it it seems quite nice.

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
I used to use KDevelop but when I tried it I decided Anjuta is much better.

The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
When I first switched from windows with VC6 to Linux, I used Anjuta
Then I discovered I work more efficiently with just an XTerm open and a few copies of emacs running.
-PoesRaven
I haven't personally tried this IDE yet, but my university has it installed in both the Unix and Windows labs. It's called jGRASP. It can be used on Unix/Linux, Windows, Mac OS, and some others. It can handle Java, C, C++, Ada 95, and others. You just have set it up to use different compilers. The FAQ says, "jGRASP is set up by default to run a Java SDK compiler for Java, a gnu-style compiler for C and C++"

You can download it free from the creators at Auburn University at:
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/index.html

It appears from the credits that this IDE was written by some Ph.D professors at Auburn University. (Probably helped by some grad students as well.)

[edited by - Feydrex on November 13, 2003 12:29:50 AM]
I am repeating myself.. C++ BuilderX

@all:
i don''t want do be impolite, bus as said above i''m looking forward to not to increase the work comfort i have with MSVC6 + VA !?

@stefu:
in consideration of the fact that not alle borland builder products are using the same technology, i''m not sure if it is as good as JBuilder.

Has anyone tried that metrowerks thingy on linux ??

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
This question really needs to be added to the FAQ. Hint hint... Nudge nudge...
I use Anjuta.

I''ve never understood how people can say they''re more productive using a simple text editor and a console. How can you get more productive and efficient than when you click on a class name in a window and go to the declaration, then click on a function and then go right to the definition of the function? Maybe I''m doing something wrong, but I don''t get it.
I like the DARK layout!
Hope this isn''t too off-topic...

how do the xterm guys generate all the config/make files? Is there a tool to generate that in an easy way? One of the things i like most in the IDEs is that they generate all that stuff for me.

Victor.
c[_]~~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement