Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McCoy

2D DirectX Engine

I am currently, attempting to construct my first 2D tile based (non-isometric) game engine using DirectX. I ran across one open source one (I think via GameDev) that had some smooth scrolling effects, etc. I deleted off of my PC months back and have been looking for it for the past 2 weeks with no luck. It''s name began with a s or z if I recall correctly. If there is anyone who knows what I am speaking of and can point me in the right direction please reply. I wouldn''t normally put a post looking for something as I hate those who are to lazy to look themselves and put such posts, but I cannot find it anywhere. So if you do know of this please reply, otherwise carry on with life. Thanks.

Perhaps one of these
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1972.asp
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010629/geczy_01.htm
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1434.asp

These are in the DirectX Forum Under the "Articles and Resources" link and the top of the page. Most of the other DirectX tuts are posted there also.

Hope this helps,
Webby

I always read posts about "smooth scrolling" tile engines. What''s the big deal here? I mean, why is that hard to implement? If you''re doing it in DX, just make a grid of textured quads and you''re set. Then you just move the camera position. Guess I don''t understand the difficulty people are having in smooth scrolling tile engines.

--Vic--

The future of 2D game development:
Flat Red Ball

you could check out my engine at http://www.sarinsoft.net - its a 2d tile based engine using direct3d and would be quite nice for what you are looking for

[edited by - rooter on November 14, 2003 11:30:01 AM]

[edited by - rooter on November 14, 2003 11:30:13 AM]

[edited by - rooter on November 14, 2003 11:30:30 AM]

quote:
Original post by IFooBar
I dunno about this engine you''re talking about, but I have a small 2D engine on my site, you can check that out if you want.

:::: [ Triple Buffer ] ::::

When I try to run your engine, it says that im missing d3dx9d.dll in my path, but I have directX9 sdk installed. What am I missing?

LizradCPP

quote:
Original post by Roof Top Pew Wee
I always read posts about "smooth scrolling" tile engines. What''s the big deal here? I mean, why is that hard to implement? If you''re doing it in DX, just make a grid of textured quads and you''re set. Then you just move the camera position. Guess I don''t understand the difficulty people are having in smooth scrolling tile engines.

It''s hard to implement when you are doing it in Software yourself, or in Direct Draw. not everyone wants to cheat and use hardware accelleration that does all the hard work for you

The more I think, the more confused I get.
The best 2D game developer site out there!

quote:
Original post by Roof Top Pew Wee
I always read posts about "smooth scrolling" tile engines. What''s the big deal here? I mean, why is that hard to implement?
Everything you said is correct, but you also have to check for banding issues. My current game has them,(link in signature). It''s program exactly as you described, except OpenGL instead of Direct3D.

You have to make sure the pixels are aligned correctly when you scroll, which is my biggest mistake. I modified the graphics to mute the effect, rather than fixing it. My next engine will fix it.

~~~~~
Adam & Eve "did not know right from wrong, therefore God could not punish them whenever they did all those things that really creeped him out." - Ghastly.
Download and play Slime King I.

Guest Anonymous Poster
"just make a grid of textured quads and you''re set."
if only it were that simple.. try it you will encounter problems..

What do you mean "check for banding issues". Not sure what you nean.

Hehe, and actually, I did try it. I''ve developed a tile map add on to my FRBT engine. Been developing it for over 9 months. It does some really nice stuff, and as far as scrolling goes, it really is that easy. Sure, the program is complicated, but that''s all related to the textures and stuff like that. No problems with scrolling.

--Vic--

The future of 2D game development:
Flat Red Ball