Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamboBones

Video Memory

I''m wondering how to calculate how much video memory is available for use in OpenGL, by using OpenGL functions of course? The reason for this is that I want to be able to use lots of textures at the maximum supported resolution on the video card, but I need to make sure their is enough memory to do this. Anybody know?

and its pretty useless check.. you dont know how much a texture takes on the card ( i believe that many cards internally stores RGB as RGBA for memory alignment, and you have 3dlabs VP serie that can use the whole AGP area as virtual texturing memory ( they dont need to transfer more data of the texture than is visible between the AGP and videomem) and the user can possible start another program after your program is initiated.. perhaps a d3d or opengl program, then you fight against that too when in comes to videomem.

You can however check with glIsTextureResident (or something similar in name) whatever a texture is on the card, or if its dropped downto system memory.

quote:
Original post by MazyNoc
and its pretty useless check.. you dont know how much a texture takes on the card ( i believe that many cards internally stores RGB as RGBA for memory alignment, and you have 3dlabs VP serie that can use the whole AGP area as virtual texturing memory ( they dont need to transfer more data of the texture than is visible between the AGP and videomem) and the user can possible start another program after your program is initiated.. perhaps a d3d or opengl program, then you fight against that too when in comes to videomem.

You can however check with glIsTextureResident (or something similar in name) whatever a texture is on the card, or if its dropped downto system memory.