Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cdt Sgt Dolman

Game command console with Direct Input action mapping

Hi, I’m writing a game with the standard DirectX 9 appwiz framework. For some time I’ve been trying to implement a command console, but Direct Input is making it difficult for me. Is there an easy way to re-map the keyboard to being used for normal input and then remap it back to its action map after the console becomes non-active. The closest I’ve got to it working is mapping the keyboard for normal use, but have not been able to re-map it back when the console is closed. My approach has been before the pdidDevice->Acquire(); in UpdateInput( UserInput* pUserInput ) I have added if(m_bActiveConsole) pdidDevice->SetDataFormat(&c_dfDIKeyboard); This works fine for getting the input to the console, but after the console closes m_bActiveConsole is false but the DirectInput action mapping is not resorted to the application''s action map (the mapped key no longer work).

Guest Anonymous Poster
I beleive you should Unacquire() the device, then you will start receiving key messages. That is what you should use for a console. Then, when the console is not being used, Acquire() it, and you will stop getting messages and you will be able to use the device.