Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ranger_One

Published Texture Fillrates?

I have a simple question, if the texture needs to be resampled- say with a GL_LINEAR mode- how does that effect fillrate. I am assuming the newer 3d cards do the resampling on the card. I would guess it counts as one fill for every tex. coord evaluated, but maybe not (or maybe it depends on hardware?). JP

Most figures published that I''ve come across are about bilinearly filtering a 2D texture. This means that either no mipmapping is done or it''s done using the nearest level.
Trilinear filtering depends heavily on the chip, on earlier ATI Radeon cards, two bilinear texture lookups are approximately the same speed as one point filtered and one trilinear read. I don''t know how later ATI and any nVidia cards scale.
Once you start using things like anisotropic filtering, 3D textures, dependent reads and, to a lesser extent, cube maps, the fill rate goes down the drain on older cards. Newer ones will probably be able to compensate a bit.
If you need detailed info, I suggest e-mailing developer relations of ATi, nVidia and Matrox about the published fillrates, they should be able to give you some insight, although you might want to test various combinations yourself on many different types of hardware to get a good picture.

- JQ