Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotating distortion?

This topic is 6367 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, here''s an odd one...I was playing with the 3D engine I''m writing. It''s running in fullscreen (800x600), and I had a cube in the foreground, facing me. Now I started a barrel roll (around the Z-axis), and I noticed that as the cube spun around, it got stretched as it rotated (worst at 90 degrees), then resumed it''s normal size at 180 degrees, stretched again at 270, and then went back to normal at 360. It was as if it were following the physical dimensions of the monitor. Is this due to a faulty view matrix? Something else? D3D? Any clues? Vyvyan

It sounds like you are using the wrong aspect ratio when setting up the projection matrix. You are probably using 1, where as it should be width/height (or height/width, depending on the function you use to compute the projectionmatrix).

- WitchLord

OK, upon searching your tutorial, Witchlord, I see that you''re using D3DX for your projection matrix generation. I''m not using D3DX...just straight IM. Can anyone help me out in setting the parameters for a good projection matrix?

Vyvyvan