irrlicht vs. neoengine vs. OGRE vs. ???

Started by
8 comments, last by angrytofu 20 years, 5 months ago
Ive been watching the progress on the various gfx engines . I am looking for something that can quickly load me a BSP map and a skinned mesh from 3ds max and playback animations. Anyone have a opinion on these? Or is there another engine I should keep a eye on that is free? ( c++ )
http://www.mattherb.com now with CATCAM!
Advertisement
They all have learning curves and their own file formats that you''ll need to get your head around.. I was planning to use Crystal Space, but then realized I could write my own engine in the same time it will take to understand the documentation.
It''s a shame everything has to be this complicated and people can''t stick to standard file formats.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
They all have learning curves and their own file formats that you''ll need to get your head around.. I was planning to use Crystal Space, but then realized I could write my own engine in the same time it will take to understand the documentation.
It''s a shame everything has to be this complicated and people can''t stick to standard file formats.

And what file format do you consider "standard" for real-time 3D graphics? Most of the time when a project has its own file format it''s because it is optimized to their specs. For instance, if you consider .ms3d to be standard then you accept the extra weight that file carries by only being in triangles rather than, say triangle strips. On another note, all of those engines have exporters for various mainstream programs.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
"On another note, all of those engines have exporters for various mainstream programs. "
That''s nice but support for the filetypes natively exported by these mainstream programs would be smart.

"the extra weight that file carries by only being in triangles rather than, say triangle strips."
Sorry but to me it seem like engineers make their own formats for cool points and can hardly justify them as being better than the more widely used formats. (Some people could give a damn about the performace so long as they can start and finish coding their game.. )

"And what file format do you consider "standard" for real-time 3D graphics? "
Well let''s see, any format that every single 3d modelling application imports and exports is a start. OBJ, 3DS, ASC, MD2 etc..
I''m not saying you shouldn''t have your own formats, but to ONLY have your-own format is a bit crappy. At least give users one "standard" format.. it''s so easy to support them since there is so much example code to learn from. This way less advanced users could start doing things without needing the headache, and more advanced users have an option to use the "better" format if they REALLY need that extra 5% performace boost..

Maybe a new format makes more sense performace-wise but throwing it at people just learning, which is mosy likely half the user base, it makes as much sense to use something they are already familiar with like 3DS or Ms3D.

It''s like how some people choose C over C++. Although C++ offers many ways to improve performace, if one cannot understand what a template is, at least they can switch back to C or use FORTRAN or BASIC if they wanted. In most free engines it''s like they throw C++ at you and you have no other option, metaphorically speaking..
Ogre, Irrlicht, and Neoengine are all great. It''s important to keep in mind that Ogre and Irrlicht are just graphics engines though, so that might impact your decision. I would suggest Ogre because it''s dead simple to use, has a great community, and is very mature. I too started with CrystalSpace but almsot lost my mind ;-).
A smart alternative to having many different exporters could be a standalone EXE that can simply parse and the mainstream formats and output that into your format. That should kill the need to write all different types of plugins, and the need for users to own these (sometimes expensive) applications.
All users have to do is take their models and run them thru Converter.EXE to get useable models in your-own-awesome-format..
quote:
Currently supported mesh file formats:

* 3D Studio meshes (.3ds)
* Milkshape (.ms3d)
* Alias Wavefront Maya (.obj)
* Quake 3 levels (.bsp)
* Quake 2 models (.md2)

It might help to do some research before posting around here talking trash. I''ll leave it as an exercise to the OP to fingure out which engines site this is from.
Then one good example does exist.
Not every free engine has such extensive 3d format support. Definatly not all of the three listed,
unless magically they all added these since I last checked?
(last month) ...
I''m becomming a ravenous Irrlicht supporter. I like its ease of use.. and since I have yet to take the linear algebra and other such math courses in college, it is very easy for me to use.

daveandrews.org - a Christian Programmer''s Weblog
actually truvision3d was the easiest to use when I was using C# but since I cannot use it with c++ I had to find something else

As far as 3d exporting. The jury is still out on .x file ever being some sort of standard.

I am looking forward to the DOOM3 and HL2 model formats.. maybe they will make some advances and the einges will use those formats. I do not want to use anything with vertex animation so the old HL is my fav so far

which brings me to a question. I have imported a HL character into 3ds max by splitting the MDL file into a SMD and loading that smd with a MAXSCRIPT..

my question is is there any tool to make in a CD BIPED rather than use max bones? so I could use bvh files and all
?

http://www.mattherb.com now with CATCAM!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement