• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bone matrices

This topic is 5213 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I’m trying to create a skeleton. I have a hierarchal bone structure but I am having difficulty constructing the matrices that control the vertex blending. The method I’m using what I made up is: For each bone pass in a world matrix. { This is the matrix for the bone. { The inverse of the world matrix Multiplied by rotation of bone Multiplied by world matrix } (Rotation around a point) Then for each child of the bone pass { The world matrix multiplied by: The inverse of the world matrix Multiplied by rotation of bone Multiplied by transform of the bone length Multiplied by world matrix } } The problem I’m getting is that vertices are transformed so the bones don’t touch but I need to pass the transforms down the structure to set the point of rotation. If any one knows the right way to do this it would be great as I can’t find anything on it.

Advertisement
DirectX 8 SDK has a skinned mesh sample, containing source code to setup bone matrices. You may take a look.
(DirectX 9''s version hides much the details into D3DX interfaces. I personally like DX8''s sample more, as it shows the "internals" of how everything works)

• Advertisement