Chess Programming Help

Started by
9 comments, last by fire2_2000 20 years, 4 months ago
I am writing a simple chess program as part of my dissertation at university, I am quite a beginner when it comes to AI. I would like as much help and examples of the alpha-beta search as i can possible get. Any help would be very much appreciated. Regards
Advertisement
If you check out the Articles & Resources link on Gamedev (top of your screen) you''ll find a Chess programming tutorial.

AlphaBeta is quite popular, and searching Google should give you more examples and explanations than you''ll ever need.

If you have any problems, or just questions in general, there are a number of AI forum regulars who can give you advice.

Good luck,
Will
------------------http://www.nentari.com
Could you give us a little more insight as to what you''d like help with? Do you want references to general computer chess programming tutorials that give an overview and cover a little bit of everything? Or do you want an explaination of how alpha beta works? Or something else? Just saying "help me" is kind of vague
Sorry, i would need a (very basic) guide to implementing the alpha-beta search in chess programs.
Read this webpage a few times: http://www.brucemo.com/compchess/programming/alphabeta.htm

Then ask any questions you still have.
If your like me youll want to do an quick dirty alphabeta attempt on othello first as a warm up.(just something to think about)

What implementation are going to use i mean Java C or C++.
Thanks for all your help everyone. I have decided to represent the board as a 2D array for ease of use and need to know what type of data representations there are for the pieces and moves. My thoughts where to do some sort of structure and have objects of that structure for each piece. Any feedback would be very useful

Thanks again for your help.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
What implementation are going to use i mean Java C or C++.

C++ because this is the only language i know how to write in.
I don''t know how good this is, but it might be worth a look.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement