Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fire2_2000

Chess Programming Help

I am writing a simple chess program as part of my dissertation at university, I am quite a beginner when it comes to AI. I would like as much help and examples of the alpha-beta search as i can possible get. Any help would be very much appreciated. Regards

If you check out the Articles & Resources link on Gamedev (top of your screen) you''ll find a Chess programming tutorial.

AlphaBeta is quite popular, and searching Google should give you more examples and explanations than you''ll ever need.

If you have any problems, or just questions in general, there are a number of AI forum regulars who can give you advice.

Good luck,
Will

Could you give us a little more insight as to what you''d like help with? Do you want references to general computer chess programming tutorials that give an overview and cover a little bit of everything? Or do you want an explaination of how alpha beta works? Or something else? Just saying "help me" is kind of vague

Thanks for all your help everyone. I have decided to represent the board as a 2D array for ease of use and need to know what type of data representations there are for the pieces and moves. My thoughts where to do some sort of structure and have objects of that structure for each piece. Any feedback would be very useful

Thanks again for your help.