Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fragmo

fun matrix math problem

alright, I''ve been struggling with this off and on for quite a while now. What I''m trying to do is change one of the base matrices on a keyframed skeleton without screwing up all my keyframes in the process. here are the equations I''ve broken it down to. keyOld, baseOld, parentOld, resultOld and baseNew are all known and I wish to solve for keyNew. keyOld * baseOld * parentOld = resultOld keyNew * baseNew * parentNew = resultNew I believe that the parent matrix is irrelevant here which would allow me to simplify to: keyOld * baseOld = resultOld keyNew * baseNew = resultNew I also know that if keyOld is identity then keyNew is also identity, BUT they are not always equal. Does this problem even have a solution? thanks in advance

Well just solve it like a standard equation.

keyOld * baseOld = resultOld
keyNew * baseNew = resultNew

You want resultOld = resultNew
therefore,

keyOld * baseOld = keyNew * baseNew

KeyOld is known, baseOld is known, and keyNew is known, so solve for baseNew

Inverse(keyNew) * keyOld * baseOld = Inverse(keyNew) * keyNew * baseNew

.. simply ...

Inverse(keyNew) * keyOld * baseOld = Identity * baseNew

.. simply ...

Inverse(keyNew) * keyOld * baseOld = baseNew

.. and re-write ...

ANSWER: baseNew = Inverse(keyNew) * keyOld * baseOld

As to whether you can ignore the parent or child matrixes... not sure, you didn''t ask that so I didnt think about it

Jeff

Thanks for the reply, but resultOld != resultNew which is what really makes it difficult since no matter how you look at it there will be 2 unknowns (keyNew and resultNew). I know there exists a matrix m such that baseOld * m = baseNew but that doesn''t seem to help since its just a substitute for a variable that I already know. *sobs*

Hmm then I guess I am not sure what you are trying to do. As the original problem is stated, I believe it is solveable, but I must say if resultOld != resultNew then I don''t see how the two equations are related at all. Good luck though