what standards and languages are needed for commercial web pages ?

Started by
11 comments, last by markdezonia 20 years, 5 months ago
A Commercial web page would need a way of getting and colleting data from clients , products they what. And a secure way to get credit account numbers. what standards and languages are needed for commercial web pages ? which books would be needed to learn the standards and languages needed for commercial web pages ? P.S. I have Visual Studio enterprise v6.0 I only know basic/C/C++ and I just learned HTML yesterday. it was way easy. [edited by - markdezonia on November 14, 2003 3:35:41 PM]
Advertisement
You could use ASP.NET , PHP, CGI, perl, or any other server side scripting language. and you could use a database backend like MySQL or any variant of SQL to hold whatever information you need such as orders, pricing, user accounts..etc.
but if I was updating random webs pages, that I did not make. Would I not need to know all the scripting languages?

[edited by - markdezonia on November 14, 2003 3:54:54 PM]
IMO obviously yes. Could you update c++ code if you didn''t know c++? same thing with PHP, could you update it if you didn''t know it?
ok. stupid question !

ok then ,
would say 90% of side scripting on the web is
ASP.NET , PHP, CGI, perl ,MySQL

and 50% of the side scripting on the web is
with just MySQL
quote:Original post by markdezonia

CGI is not a language, its a standard/interface. CGI just provides a generic method of handling the actual information that gets handed to and from the actual language doing the work. Perl, PHP and ASP seem to be the most languages used with CGI (although I don''t think theres anything stopping you using C or C++ with CGI).
quote:Original post by OrangyTang
quote:Original post by markdezonia

CGI is not a language, its a standard/interface. CGI just provides a generic method of handling the actual information that gets handed to and from the actual language doing the work. Perl, PHP and ASP seem to be the most languages used with CGI (although I don''t think theres anything stopping you using C or C++ with CGI).

ASP is definitely not a CGI technology. ASP is implemented as an ISAPI dll. PHP on IIS can also be hosted through ISAPI, and for Apache you have stuff like mod_perl and mod_php which also circumvents the whole CGI interface.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
And don''t forget Java (J2EE, JSP, Servlets). Although it''s used most for large scale web apps, there are still several smaller sites that use one or more of the Java web dev technologies.
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
ASP is definitely not a CGI technology. ASP is implemented as an ISAPI dll. PHP on IIS can also be hosted through ISAPI, and for Apache you have stuff like mod_perl and mod_php which also circumvents the whole CGI interface.

I stand corrected.
quote:Original post by deathtrap
You could use ASP.NET , PHP, CGI, perl, or any other server side scripting language. and you could use a database backend like MySQL or any variant of SQL to hold whatever information you need such as orders, pricing, user accounts..etc.

Most big commercial web site use ColdFusion because of the support and ease of programming. Then again, now days, alot of them either use PHP or ASP or JSP or Java Applets, then again, the new thing, Java Servlets, and no I'm not talking about JSP but rather, Java Apps that run on web sites through some application server such as Tomcat or JBoss or something of the likes. Although, JBoss tends to be the leader. I know and use Tomcat/Java applications for most of my web dev at work.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator & WebMaster GuLSE]

[edited by - cyberdrek on November 16, 2003 12:06:49 PM]
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement