Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ms291052

Pulling vertices from a mesh

To pull vertices from a mesh you simply lock the vertex/index buffers and then you can use D3DXVECTOR3 v0 = pVertices[pIndices[faceNum*3]].position; D3DXVECTOR3 v1 = pVertices[pIndices[faceNum*3 + 1]].position; D3DXVECTOR3 v2 = pVertices[pIndices[faceNum*3 + 2]].position; right? pIndices should be a WORD*, correct, but then if loading from a mesh, what should pVertices be? As of now I have it defined as a MESHVERTEX* where struct MESHVERTEX { D3DXVECTOR3 position; D3DXVECTOR3 normal; float tu, tv; } Is there anything wrong with this? Whenever I run my code I get a System.NullReferenceException pointing to the v0 line, however I have verified that neither pVertices, nor pIndices is NULL. Why is this?

I assume that when you say "mesh" you mean an ID3DXMesh (or similar)...

ID3DXBaseMesh::GetDeclaration()
ID3DXBaseMesh::GetFVF()
ID3DXBaseMesh::GetNumBytesPerVertex()

should tell you all you need to know about how big each vertex is and which members it contains.

How can I use that information to obtain the vertices? I suppose it''s just a matter of finding the right definition of MESHVERTEX but how can I do that dynamically? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?