I hate IE even more now (yes, this does have to do with programming)

Started by
27 comments, last by Ekim_Gram 20 years, 5 months ago
That there is transitional XHTML if you haven''t noticed.

R.I.P. Mark Osback
Solo Pa Mi Gente
VG-Force
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Ekim_Gram
My code is horrible??? How dare you say that! To me, it''s very organized and the declarations of everything is made in the same order.

Oy, you have a lot to learn.

To everyone else: I don''t get the big problem with IE. I''m not saying it''s the best, but it really isn''t as bad as most of you make it out to be. I''m not saying you have to use it, but where are all the netscape haters!? To me netscape has always been a MUCH worse browser than IE as far as rendering goes. *shudder* Writing cross-browser &#106avascript for 4x browsers was horrible. Every single minor version of netscape 4 responded differently to dhtml.. horrid.

___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___      /\  \     /\__\     /\  \     /\  \     /\  \     /\  \     /\  \     /\__\    /::\  \   /:/ _/_   _\:\  \   _\:\  \    \:\  \   /::\  \   /::\  \   /:/ _/_  /::\:\__\ /:/_/\__\ /::::\__\ /::::\__\   /::\__\ /::\:\__\ /::\:\__\ /::-"\__\ \/\:\/__/ \:\/:/  / \::;;/__/ \::;;/__/  /:/\/__/ \;:::/  / \:\:\/  / \;:;-",-"    \/__/   \::/  /   \:\__\    \:\__\    \/__/     |:\/__/   \:\/  /   |:|  |               \/__/     \/__/     \/__/               \|__|     \/__/     \|__|  
yeah so the reason your code was called "horrible" is b/c you have three tables that are really columns. a better way to code your page would be:

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" border="0">    <tr>        <td width="14%" valign="top">            <!-- put left links table here -->        </td>        <td width="70%" valign="top">            <!-- put main body table here -->        </td>        <td width="14%" valign="top">            <!-- put right links table here -->        </td>    </tr></table>

and then get rid of the width="XX%" attributes in each of the 3 tables that you paste into my template. the way you do it is nasty and i'm not at all surprised that whatever version of IE you have doesn't support it. I don't believe that table level width attributes are supported in all browsers.

[EDIT: in case you are unsure about the paste thing, i mean paste the whole thing <table...> tags and all]

-me

[edited by - Palidine on November 14, 2003 5:46:33 PM]
What does this have to do with programming?

()
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
That was a joke right.

()
It would be embarissing to suck at HTML.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
Well, first off you're using several attributes that don't actually exist, such as "topmargin" and such. You also attempt to apply "height" to a table element, which is illegal. Try removing these attribs first and then see if IE does what you want it to.

In all of my experience as a professional web developer, I have rarely seen IE mess up on a properly designed page. It's actually one of the more standards-compliant browsers out there (ironic, I know ), though its support of more recent specs such as CSS2 and such is definitely lacking. Then again, pretty much all browsers currently share this problem, so I'd say it's all MS's fault for killing the commercial possibilities of browser development. Darn them for giving us free stuff.

- Daniel Roth,
Programmer / Web Developer

(www.rothware.com, www.cwu.edu)

[edited by - Ramius on November 14, 2003 6:46:46 PM]
- Daniel Roth, Programmer / Web Developer (www.starquail.com, www.cwu.edu)
quote:Original post by Fuzztrek
I don''t see anything wrong with it, but your code is horrible. I wouldn''t be surprised if it didn''t work with what you''ve got.

___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___      /\  \     /\__\     /\  \     /\  \     /\  \     /\  \     /\  \     /\__\    /::\  \   /:/ _/_   _\:\  \   _\:\  \    \:\  \   /::\  \   /::\  \   /:/ _/_  /::\:\__\ /:/_/\__\ /::::\__\ /::::\__\   /::\__\ /::\:\__\ /::\:\__\ /::-"\__\ \/\:\/__/ \:\/:/  / \::;;/__/ \::;;/__/  /:/\/__/ \;:::/  / \:\:\/  / \;:;-",-"    \/__/   \::/  /   \:\__\    \:\__\    \/__/     |:\/__/   \:\/  /   |:|  |               \/__/     \/__/     \/__/               \|__|     \/__/     \|__|   

Dude, if you are going to tell someone thier code is horrible at least have the gumption to tell them why you think thier code is horrible. I gave it a quick once over and the only thing I see is there is alot of spacing, but there is nothing wrong with the layout. I found it easy to read and I''ve done web coding for 10 years now.

The IE/Mozilla difference may be due to the way they interpret pixels. IE (I think it is IE) displays pixels as less than Mozilla based browsers so a table may seem wider or longer depending on which browser you are using. To tell the truth, IE is displaying the height properly (looking at the "subject" table) You told the table to be 550 pixels in height and eyeballing it, I''d say IE is displaying it as 550 pixels in height. Opera on the other hand is ignoring the height and just enclosing the content of the table.
~"What''s this red button do?"
quote:Original post by Palidine
yeah so the reason your code was called "horrible" is b/c you have three tables that are really columns. a better way to code your page would be:

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" border="0">    <tr>        <td width="14%" valign="top">            <!-- put left links table here -->        </td>        <td width="70%" valign="top">            <!-- put main body table here -->        </td>        <td width="14%" valign="top">            <!-- put right links table here -->        </td>    </tr></table>

and then get rid of the width="XX%" attributes in each of the 3 tables that you paste into my template. the way you do it is nasty and i''m not at all surprised that whatever version of IE you have doesn''t support it. I don''t believe that table level width attributes are supported in all browsers.

[EDIT: in case you are unsure about the paste thing, i mean paste the whole thing <table...> tags and all]

-me

[edited by - Palidine on November 14, 2003 5:46:33 PM]

Well I see I did miss something. That''ll learn me to read over it just scimming.That would be better use of HTML.
~"What''s this red button do?"
quote:Original post by Ramius
Well, first off you''re using several attributes that don''t actually exist, such as "topmargin" and such. You also attempt to apply "height" to a table element, which is illegal. Try removing these attribs first and then see if IE does what you want it to.
When did the topmargin attribute cease to exist? When did table height become an illegal attribute? I haven''t kept up with web standards, but the last time I dealt with HTML it supported topmargin attributes for body tags and height attributes for tables.

I have the same problem Ekim_Gram is having. The tables on Netscape look nice and compact, while the tables on IE look taller than they ought to be.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement