Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Haze

My Defense Game

I'm making this game in C++ called Defense. You can download the latest version at: http://www.anticure.com/defense And I have also released the source code for version 1.1 here: http://www.anticure.com/defense/CodeRelease110.zip The main idea of the game is to defend your command center from the attacking armies. You use a variety of turrets, airstrikes, and defenses to stop them. I would like some feedback and/or suggestions for my game. Please post your comments! ----[Red Haze]---- [edited by - Red Haze on November 20, 2003 9:30:07 PM]

That game is REALLY REALLY REALLY fun. You MUST have played the Castle shockwave game because it''s very similar.

Major suggestion would obviously be graphics. Other things like a health bar for your command center and a little more weapon variety would be great. Perhaps even allow for purchase of fortifications.

All in all, great game! I''m gonna go give it another go after I eat.

-=Peon=- : A Poorly Implement Forum Bot ------
© Kordova, 2003

Yeah, I did get a little inspiration from the Castle game at XGenStudios.com

I am currently in the process of upgrading the graphics too, I already got a better explosion and tank for the next release. The health bar on the command center is also a good idea, but my brother already suggested it a day ago =)

----[Red Haze]----

Maybe you could give people a reason to shut off turrets (there was no reason I could see) Maybe it costs power to run them, or a limited supply of ammo. If you go the power supply route, allow for the construction of power generators. You''d be in a lot of trouble if the enemy managed to destroy one of those generators.

Also, how about loading turrets with different ammo? I think it''d be cool to load up turrets with explosive ammo, or maybe some sort of concussive ammo that would knock the enemy backwards. Heck, what about a barracks building that would deploy your own infantry?

I think I''m getting a little ahead of myself now..

© Kordova, 2003

Actually, the main reason I let you turn off turrets was for testing and debugging purposes...

A lot of your ideas sound pretty good, the infantry idea I might try to implement.

----[Red Haze]----

Well, it looks like a fun game, but unfortunately it runs slower than my patience will put up with. On the map screen it''s fine: 60-70 FPS. Every other screen drops to 6 or 7 FPS. I''d be interested in trying it again if you can get it running at a decent speed. Here''s my specs.

AMD Duron 1.3 ghz
512 MB RAM
GeForce4 Ti 4200
WinXP

quote:
Original post by Kaezin
That level 5 America level is officially impossible.

That''s all I have to say on the matter
The one with just one round? I beat it on my first try. Just be sure to press ''a'' repeatedly and you''ll be fine.

I''ve seen a lot of varied results on the speed on the game, here are what my computers do:

450 Mhz Pentium II, 384 megs RAM, Win 98, Geforce 2, 80 FPS

266 Mhz Pentium II, 98 megs RAM, Win 98, Voodoo 3 2000, 80 FPS

Brand New E-Machine (don''t remember specs), Win XP, 60 FPS

600 Mhz Dual Pentium III, 512 megs RAM, Win 98, ATI Radeon, 60 FPS

350 Mhz, generic graphics card, fails to run game.

As you can see, even the 266 Mhz was able to run at 80 fps. I have also seen one computer (at my school), with XP, that flickered like mad when I tried to play Defense on it.

If you''re having problems, you could try downloading the latest version of DirectX, or the most recent drivers for your video card. Other than that, I don''t think there is much that can be done. The game only uses DirectDraw to render everything.

Another note, all the music are from other games (FFVI, FFVII, Chrono Trigger, ROTT), whereas I drew most of the graphics using MS-Paint, and some using Corel Photo-Paint.

----[Red Haze]----

It''s just as "illegal" as downloading songs from iMesh...

And anyway, this project is non-profit, and I''m not too worried about any legal trouble. If need be, I can always remove the songs from the game.

----[Red Haze]----

quote:
Original post by Red Haze
It''s just as "illegal" as downloading songs from iMesh...

And anyway, this project is non-profit, and I''m not too worried about any legal trouble. If need be, I can always remove the songs from the game.

----[Red Haze]----
I concur. For such a low scale non-profit game, I would say there is little legal risk. The worst that could happen is that a cease and desist order is issued, in which case removing the songs would probably be sufficient.

© Kordova, 2003

quote:
Original post by Peon

I concur. For such a low scale non-profit game, I would say there is little legal risk. The worst that could happen is that a cease and desist order is issued, in which case removing the songs would probably be sufficient.
What if they demand to completely stop the distribution? Remember FreeCraft?

As for your games...it''s pretty entertaining, haven''t found any bugs so far. What APIs do you use?

and also...how could you not put GameDev.net in the special thanks!?

For the graphics, I use a library called MasterX, which uses DirectX.

For the sound, I used to use MasterX as well, but the next release will play sound using FMod instead.

I released 1.6 prior to posting on GameDev.net, so they did not make it to the special thanks. They WILL be included in the credits on the next release.

----[Red Haze]----

I've just released version 1.7! You can download it at the Defense Website

Some new features include better explosion graphics, more sounds, and scrolling levels. You can also visit my official forum to view all the changes since 1.6

I think I'm going to take a break from improvements and start focusing on level-making. I also plan to release extra "music" packs for the game soon.

----[Red Haze]----

[edited by - Red Haze on November 19, 2003 7:54:01 PM]

I''ve already worked on a few more upgrades, you can view some of the progress at my forum. I am also looking for anyone to help with making some levels. The "World Tour" campaign is kind of old, and I need to cycle it out with a better campaign. If you need help using my un-documented level editor, you can e-mail me or post it on my board or this one.

---[Red Haze]---

Wow, I was very impressed! It is a fun game, just what is needed to work off the frustrations of the day!

No bugs that I could see, ran great even when I was ''mob attacked'', snappy music, - good stuff.

I''m going to add some feedback to your forum. I''d recommend that people who like this sort of game to give it a try and give Red Haze some feedback.

great game!
excellent work!
very very fun!

anyways, flickered very much and very low fps on my 400mhz Celeron 256 MB RAM, win2k.
runs 60-70 FPS on 2.4GHz laptop, 256 MBRAM, winXP, slows down with a lot of armies, but still playable.

Nice work. That game''s really fun, although I don''t know how long I can play. After about an hour my wrist got really sore from moving the mouse around so much. You should provide one of those wrist braces for bowling with every download. :-)

Great job.

Defense version 1.8 is now available to download! Again, the main defense site is here.

You can check my official forum for full update details.

With the addition of "smarter" campaigns and actual level editing documentaion, I will be looking for more user created levels, and I may be releasing an extra level pack for this version sometime.

---[Red Haze]---