Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woody FX

Old School Game Dev in a Limited Environment

Hi, I''ve been programming a Pseduo 3D game in J2ME for a mobile phone. (Not concerned about the language i have to prog in) The interesting thing is the challange in programming for such a limited device. Screen dimensions are usely about 100*120pixels and 256 colours. There are no Real Graphics libraries which is nice as it leaves everything simple you need to figure out all the plotting to the screen yourself. I would like to now create a 2D side scroller. And i need to find out more about collosion detection and other old school technigues of 2D programming of side scrollers. How jumping up and down from platforms and that kind of thing. The game will be similar in game play to Double Dragon (though i''d hope a little more fun.) I''ve checked out the articles part of the site and i did''nt find anything. I suppose i need articles and code samples ( language not important... i''d image it will be in c ) from the old dos days... or Java applets maybe.. If you can think of anything please help me out Brian

quote:
Original post by Woody FX
I suppose i need articles and code samples ( language not important... i''d image it will be in c ) from the old dos days...

Theres a large GBA indy dev scene on the ''net, they''ll have the kind of articles you''re looking for.

On a practical level: old school 2d games are almost always tile based, which essencially means you''ll end up with a big (or set of) 2d arrays to hold your world. Checking for collisions is therefore just requires simple axis-aligned bounding boxes between object-object and object-tiles. Object-tiles can be reduced to just checking the tiles you''re within a range of, which in turn just translates into a couple of array lookups.

Object-object is slightly more complicated, but usually you''ve only got active objects on the screen, and a few at that. Something like a pair of sorted lists (one on x, one on y) can work well. Depending on the number of objects you may be able to brute force it.

”We hate to see a corporation of this country promote the U.N. when we know that it is an instrument of the Soviet Communist conspiracy.”
—San Francisco Chronicle

Guest Anonymous Poster
Wow! That sounds fun! How easy is it to get everything you need?

Well, actually, do a search for QBasic. QB4all.com is a good site, and there are tons of tutorials, and it is kept up to date. QBasic is in DOS, so that will probably be what you are looking for. I am thinking about switching from PC programming with DirectX to cell phone programming now, so you could you answer my question too? It can''t be a hard switch... DirectX to anything sounds easy.

OK will keep looking ( i''ve been for a while... i dont suffer from laziness ;-p )

Yeah it is easy and nice to program for mobiles ! (& everything is free)

If your interested feel free to mail me and i''ll help you get started!

brian @ druiddevelopment . com_no spam

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
It can''t be a hard switch... DirectX to anything sounds easy.

directx is a bitch to learn, but sorta "brute force" learning gets u there in the end, even though it will leave you buying a new keyboard and mouse