Drawing a 3d line!

Started by
8 comments, last by ph33r 20 years, 5 months ago
So I decided to write a software renderer after much advice from this forum(and so far I''m learning a lot) but I''ve run in to a brick wall already. I can draw a 2d line(after a lot of sweat work) but I can''t figure out how to draw a 3d line. This is my function so far.. void DrawLine(x0,x1,y0,y1) { // Draw line code here } So I figured to make it be a 3d line all i would have to do is transfer the 3d endpoints to 2d endpoints and then call the 2d draw line function void Draw3DLine(x0,x1,z0, y0,y1,z1) { x0 /= z0; y0 /= z0; x1 /= z1; y1 /= z1; DrawLine(x0,y0,x1,y1); } This gives me some wierd effects, any help is appreciated!
Advertisement
You really shouldn''t project like that.
Also, usually we don''t draw "lines" in 3d.
Having defined two points in 3d space is one thing & drawing a line between thoose are another.

If you translate & then project you could use you standard bresenham (or what have you) 2d line algo.
______________________________Only dead fish go with the main-stream.
Drawing a line in 3d help much in a software rasterizer for the fact that it helps to debug other functions , anyway , pay attention to clipping plane, z0,z1 might go to 0 thus sending to ''infinity'' your projection, ekas78 is right, xform ( transform using viewing matrix ) your coordinates , and draw a 2d line using them in your frame buffer,
Sorry for my english.
bye.
if you want to make a software rasteriser, you really need a book like Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice or 3D Computer Graphics (3rd Ed.)
, or even Michael Abrash's Graphics Programming Black Book (Special Edition) anyway, a good book on the fundamentals of computer graphics.

Anything on the intricacies of matrices, vectors, transformation, clipping, lighting, shading, rasterising, texture mapping, filtering, ....

[edited by - oliii on November 15, 2003 6:10:53 AM]

Everything is better with Metal.

quote:Original post by Ekas78
You really shouldn''t project like that.
Also, usually we don''t draw "lines" in 3d.
Having defined two points in 3d space is one thing & drawing a line between thoose are another.

If you translate & then project you could use you standard bresenham (or what have you) 2d line algo.

But I''m skipping all the transformations by just putting the model already in view space. I''m not moving the camera and I''m only having one object so if i define the model coordinates to be the actual view coordinates I don''t have to go through the transformations. So say my model coordinates = (4,4,1),(5,5,1),(1,1,1) that would be the model coordinates transformed to view coordinates already.

So then all that is left to do is do the projection transformation which is x/z and y/z correct? When I do that though I get wierd effects.

Make sure you project your object to viewspace the correct way, with a projection matrix.

Once there, you may want to clip your line, if one endpoint of the line is behind the camera it'll project the wrong way. Clip away everything behind the plane z=0.0001 (not 0 to avoid division by 0), and then clip it in 2D so that you won't be drawing ouside the screen.

Oh, and if you really can't get it to work, try to practice with projecting dots first. A starfield.

EDIT = typos

[edited by - Boops on November 15, 2003 2:27:26 PM]
I''m not writing a fully function 3d enviroment so I don''t need all the transformations.

I''m assuming
- No translations
- No rotation
- No scaling
- Fixed point of view

That means I can skip those transformations and the only transformation left is the projection transformation onto the clip plane.

As far as I know to transform 3d coordinates to 2d you just divide x/z and y/z. Though I must be missing something here because the results look funny.
I still can''t figure this out
That''s a pretty odd order of your parameters there... you sure it''s not that that''s playing a prank on you?
Also, can you explain what your "wierd" effects are? (I presume you mean "weird?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement