Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dko

Just don't know what to code

Ok ive read a decent amount on C++ and think i undertand it quite well and have read a little on windows and direct x pograming (Though I don''t have enuf down to acctualy program something worth while) Heres the prob. Im in a slump, I don''t know what to code to really solidify my C++. Its mostly because I know if I try to code something compleatly stupid and boaring ill never finish it. Any ideas?

Well, we always started off in school with the basics. That would be console programming. I would do a considerable amount of console programming to get a decent grip on C++. If you really want to persue C++ and game programming as a career, you need to start looking for schools and scholarships.

At the college I graduated from, we did a good year''s worth of console programming, starting from procedural and simple applications such as a fraction calculator. Then we moved on to a little more difficult topics, like a simple employee database using dynamic arrays of structures, then on to Object-Orientation with classes, then to data structures. After understanding data structures and classes and have a pretty good grip on the language, THEN I would begin to persue programming in the Win32 environment (Win32, not MFC). After learning programming with the Win32 API, topics like DirectX and almost any other API imaginable can be used without much of a headache or misunderstanding.

Good luck.

Make demos.

www.scene.org
www.pouet.net
www.monostep.org

That should get you started. First try to replicate the effects, then do something original.

Albert "thec" Sandberg