Clarification on .x files

Started by
1 comment, last by WebsiteWill 20 years, 5 months ago
My understanding is that I can model an object in 3ds Max complete with textures (somewhat limited) and animations and then store them into .x files. However, is the animation specific fo that model only? I''m thinking of something like having animation sets that can be used of a set of mesh objects instead of just a single object. Is this possible. Also, commercial games do not use .x files but instead a custom file format. I''m assuming that they are structuring their model information in a way that their file loaders can parse. They do the same for animations? I''m about to start up for the basic file loaders and parsers and need to know if I should write a single file loading class that loads mesh, text coords, and animations from a single file or if I should have different file loading abilities, one for mesh data, one for text coords, and one for animations. TIA for input, Webby
Advertisement
Most games do use a separate file format for animations, I believe. I think that the reason would be, just like you stated, to allow more than one mesh use the animation. For instance, say you want your player to be able to select their model... You don''t want to have to store the animation data that plays when your character jumps multiple times. Most games store the animations as a simple list of keyframes, usually either in the form of matrices, or in some cases, changes in rotation/position. It''s up to you how you want to store them though.
Sounds groovy.

Thanks
Webby

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement