can't read file all the way

Started by
0 comments, last by markty 20 years, 5 months ago
Okay I am trying to read this 3ds file all the way but I am able to only do one object and then reaches the end of the file. I can't find out how or why this is doing it maybe I am reading it wrong but I am able to get the data out of the first object in the beggening of it but after I read it it skips the rest and I was hoping someone could show me where the error might be becuase the code looks fine.

if (!(modelfile=fopen(mfile, "rb")))
	{
		MessageBox(NULL,"Unable to load file!","ERROR",MB_OK|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION);
	}
	else
	{
		fseek(modelfile, 0, SEEK_END);
		size=ftell(modelfile);
		fseek(modelfile, 0, SEEK_SET);
	}

while (ftell(modelfile)<size)
	{
		fread (&chunkID, 2, 1, modelfile);			//Read what chunk is going to be read next

fread (&chunkLength, 4, 1, modelfile);		//Read the lenght of the chunk 

switch (chunkID)
		{
			case 0x4d4d:		//main

break;

case 0x3d3d:		//3dmodel info

break;

case 0x4000:		//object name

name=NULL;
			while (name = fgetc(modelfile) != 0);
			break; 

case 0x4100:    //OBJ_TRIMESH

break;

case 0x4110: 
			fread (&vertlist.count, 2, 1, modelfile);
			for (vertloop=0; vertloop<vertlist.count; vertloop++)
			{
				fread (&vertlist.vertexinfo.vert[vertloop].x, 4, 1, modelfile);
				fread (&vertlist.vertexinfo.vert[vertloop].y, 4, 1, modelfile);
				fread (&vertlist.vertexinfo.vert[vertloop].z, 4, 1, modelfile);
			}
			break; 

case 0x4120:
			fread (&vertlist.facecount, 2, 1, modelfile);
			for (polyloop=0; polyloop<vertlist.facecount; polyloop++)
			{
				fread (&vertlist.vertexinfo.vert[polyloop].a, 2, 1, modelfile);
				fread (&vertlist.vertexinfo.vert[polyloop].b, 2, 1, modelfile);
				fread (&vertlist.vertexinfo.vert[polyloop].c, 2, 1, modelfile);

fread (&faceinfo, 2, 1, modelfile);      
			}

default:
				fseek(modelfile, chunkLength-6, SEEK_CUR);
		}
	}

fclose (modelfile);
[edited by - markty on November 15, 2003 1:02:57 AM]
Advertisement
I''d start by changing
if (!(modelfile=fopen(mfile, "rb")))	{		MessageBox(NULL,"Unable to load file!","ERROR",MB_OK|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION);	}	else	{		fseek(modelfile, 0, SEEK_END);		size=ftell(modelfile);		fseek(modelfile, 0, SEEK_SET);	}	while (ftell(modelfile)<size)

to
if (!(modelfile=fopen(mfile, "rb")))	{		MessageBox(NULL,"Unable to load file!","ERROR",MB_OK|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION);		return;	}		while (!feof(modelfile))

This part:
			case 0x4000:		//object name			name=NULL;			while (name = fgetc(modelfile) != 0);			break; 

1) name will always end up being 0.
2) Using ; for the body of a loop is confusing, if you want an empty loop use {}.
2) If name is a pointer, I don''t think you know anything about how to use pointers.

I don''t think any of that will fix the original problem, though. For that, use a debugger. Step through the code, and check the values being read from the file to make sure they''re what you expected.

Some more tips:
- Check the return value of fread to make sure you read the correct amount of data.
- The data you''re reading is endian depenant; that is, depending in the computer you''re using, the bytes may end up being backwards, making the values you read wrong, and bad things will happen as a result.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement