[RPG Design Theory]Statistic-Controlled PC Perspective

Started by
50 comments, last by Run_The_Shadows 20 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by StuartD
quote:

for the sake of diversity in game, let''s just forget them!!!
there is a lot of game which fit their interest, while other kind of player has very little, let''s concentrate on these kind of player rather the bloody going one to have something different

But such people do exist. In real life they are mercenaries or similar, and are generaly viewed with distrust. What this would mean in game terms is that the player would be able to follow the path of the mercenary, but they will not be able to gain the trust of NPC''s which will mean that certain quests are unavalible etc. A mercenary would be less likely to have a romantic interest in the game as well.

Stuart

[edited by - StuartD on November 26, 2003 1:47:23 AM]

they DO exist then that''s mean that other kind of people DON''T??
there is LOT of game for THEM
there is NO game for romantic people (at least japanese those dating sims in... japaneese or the future game "single" at www.single-the-game.com)

and then what a romantic game will look like?? sure statless and with new element of gameplay (more npc interaction) wich could be basis for future "normal" crpg

i''m working on an adventure game based on social interaction with dinamic story and character simulation
then no killing, no side quest, no visible stat, only your action towards other and consequence of it

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Advertisement
By ''Romantic interest'' I am talking about a BG2 style of romance, but it could have a much bigger impact on the story, opening up whole new endings etc (when you think about it your partner makes a big difference to your life, a fact that a lot of games seem to overlook). I was not talking about a totally romantic oriented RPG.

One the whole mercinary thing, consider two different players:

Player 1: Is only intersted in killing and loot, spends the whole game fighting and aquiring treasure by any means. None of the NPC''s like him. This is ''in character'' for a mercinary''

Player 2: Has talked to NPC''s and done them favours, and is currently in a relationship with a seven foot amazon and the head of the assasins guild owes him a favour. He may not have as much loot, or be as strong as player 1, but he can call in help. This is probably in chracter for some kind of heroic adventurer type.

I think the idea I was trying to get across with this is that the player chooses the role they want to play in the game through their actions, rather than selecting a role and trying to force the player into it. In game terms this could mean that you have a list of words that describe your personality traits. This list would start off blank and be filled in as your character interacts with others (e.g. your character could be described as rude, cowardly and miserly). This list would affect how other characters interact with you and effectivly replace your reputation stat. For instance the town moneylender would be much more friendly toward you if you had a reputation as a bit of a miser, and you would be much more likely to get a job in the royal guard if you have a repuation for being loyal to the king and a good fighter, and the local sherif would take more of an intrest in you if you start getting a reputation as a theif.

Stuart

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement