• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hapaboy55

Template Specialization Problem

This topic is 5364 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all I''m having a problem with some template specialization code I''ve written. Could someone please explain why this will compile: template T maxn(T arr[], int size){ return arr[0];}; template<> const char * maxn(const char * arr[], int size){ return arr[0];}; And this will not: template const T maxn(const T arr[], int size){ return arr[0];}; template<> char * maxn(char * arr[], int size){ return arr[0];}; From experimentation, it seems if I add the const modifier to the template, the template specialization will no longer match it no matter what I do with it. The error given is: error C2912: explicit specialization; ''char *maxn(char *[],int)'' is not a specialization of a function template I would appreciate any help with this =)

Advertisement
if you expand the template

template
const T maxn(T arr[], int size) { return arr[0]; }

with T= char*

template<> const char* maxn( char* arr[], int size) { return arr[0]); }

the const-modifier is still there. so you can't specialize the template without the "const".

[edited by - sphinx23 on November 15, 2003 10:12:20 AM]

Thanks for your help Sphinx but I still can''t get it to work. This combination will not work either for me:

template
const T maxn(const T arr[], int size){ return arr[0];};
template<>
const char * maxn(const char * arr[], int size){ return arr[0];};

In fact, no combination of adding/removing const modifiers from the specialization seems to work unless I remove the const modifiers from the template.

This compiles for me under Visual C++ 2003

template <class T>
T maxn(T arr[], int size){ return arr[0];}

template <>
const char * maxn (const char* arr[], int size){ return arr[0];}

Yes that works but if I add the const modifier to the template parameters/return values, it no longer works. No matter what I do with the specialization.

Ok I finally figured it out. For those who may be curious, it turns out that for this declaration:

template
const T maxn(const T arr[], int size){ return arr[0];};

Using the const modifier for a type T means that that type will be constant...no surprise there...the problem happens if you want to do a specialization which uses a pointer. The above would make the pointer constant, not what its pointing to.

Following my example. Using char * as the type for the specialization will translate to "a const pointer to a char array", it isn''t just substituting the T with char *.

so the correct specialization of the above to have a pointer to a const char * array would be this:
template<>
const char * const maxn(const char * const arr[], int size){ return arr[0];};

Now that brings up a new question...how do you create a template with pointers to constant types without using specializations?

quote:
Original post by hapaboy55

Now that brings up a new question...how do you create a template with pointers to constant types without using specializations?

Are you looking for something like this?

template <class T>
const T* maxn(const T* arr[], int size){ return arr[0];}

Or, am I misunderstanding?

edit: put in source tags so code would display correctly

[edited by - CrazyMike on November 15, 2003 7:03:39 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!