Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

laurobezerra

Salary

it depends entirely upon where you work: regionally and at which company. bigger companies generally pay more. generally companies in SF pay more than companies in LA pay more than companies in texas. if the cost of living is higher, your salary tends to be bigger, which amount to it not really being bigger at all, and sometimes actually smaller once you normalize for cost of living.

i believe an average starting salary at a games company is around 40K, but i''m really just making that up. I am completely also guessing about the top end salaries which i believe are around 90-100K (if you''re a super cool master of your code universe).

more or less if you want money, do web programming or systems programming. salaries there tend to be about 10-20K higher for comperable seniority of position.

-me

quote:
Original post by Palidine
it depends entirely upon where you work: regionally and at which company. bigger companies generally pay more. generally companies in SF pay more than companies in LA pay more than companies in texas. if the cost of living is higher, your salary tends to be bigger, which amount to it not really being bigger at all, and sometimes actually smaller once you normalize for cost of living.

i believe an average starting salary at a games company is around 40K, but i''m really just making that up. I am completely also guessing about the top end salaries which i believe are around 90-100K (if you''re a super cool master of your code universe).

more or less if you want money, do web programming or systems programming. salaries there tend to be about 10-20K higher for comperable seniority of position.

-me

Or Systems/Applications engineering and the salaries tend to be about 50-100k higher depending on the position =]

The difference is if you either want to be rich with tons of cash.. go into software engineering, if you really enjoy developing games and want a job you love than I''d say go for that =] Although I know a ton of software engineers that love what they do and are very happy with it as well.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
since when was being a game programmer about the money?

When you move out of your moms basement you will understand.