how do you do an rpg?

Started by
1 comment, last by Stevieboy 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi, could some one tell me what you need for an rpg, is it just a 2d world with 3d pictures on it, I was thinking of having a little go at doing one, just something simple, I can get a 2d thing up ok, I''m just not sure whether rpgs are 2d or 3d''s but with the camera just set at one angle. Thanks
Advertisement
If you''re catering to the CRT/LCD monitor crowd, you just need 2d pictures, because that''s all those monitors will show. You can try 3d pictures, but they''ll just come out flat.
Hmmm....

Well, first off, an RPG isn''t limited to any particular format. Some RPGs, such as old 8-bit Nintendo games, are in a tile-based format, where the world is composed of a grid of blocks, or tiles. The viewpoint of these is up above, looking down.

Other RPGs, many even older than Nintendo, are text-based, implemented by way of textual descriptions and commands entered at a prompt. A wide variety of these, called MUDs, MUSHes, MOOs, etc... are multiplayer online games.

Still other RPGs are implemented in isometric format--a 2D representation that seeks to mimic some aspects of 3D. For examples of this, see the Diablo series by Blizzard.

Other RPGs are implemented in the first person 3D view. Of course, technology here is as far ranging as any first person game, ranging in sophistication from old games such as Wizardry 4 (ye olde game) to somewhat newer games such as Daggerfall, etc...

Other RPG games are 3rd person 3D, such as Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Siege, with a camera that can be moved around to view the world from multiple angles. Despite a somewhat similar appearance to isometrics, these are fully 3D, featuring skinned models, actual world geometry, etc... and not 2D tricks and mimicry as isometrics do.

In short, the answer to your question is...

Moo.

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem: Lands of Shadow, an isometrically rendered hack-and-slash inspired equally by Nethack and Diablo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement