Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrain Speed

This topic is 6361 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I''m just wondering how much time (per frame) most games use for creating the terrain only.. In my game It''ll run at 58-62fps but if I take out only the terrain rendering code it''ll run at 125fps. Is that a normal ratio? By the way that 58-62 fps is without units, just the map, however, I''m running in 800x600@16bpp and I''m using a system memory backbuffer so that I can store all my graphics in system memory... So I believe I''ve acomplished something pretty ok... By the way my target system will be a 400Mhz machine I think and I''m running a 533Mhz machine so 45 fps on a 400 wouldn''t be so bad? Anyhow any opinions on how much time to spend rendering the terrain would be great! Thanks, Ben P.S. It''s re-rendering *ALL* the terrain each frame, which is a grid of 37x11 isometric tiles. So 407 tiles, each tile is 68x33 so essentially your blitting a 956x956 sized surface (407 tilesx68x33=913308pixels ==> sqrt = 956) And because of the nature of the blit (Using MMX, I think?) a transparent pixel is no faster than a normal pixel.

It''s not really about how fast you can get the terrain render, but also incorporate all other elements such as sound/models/scripting/world architecture into your engine. If you set your overall goal say....20fps on a 400/300, then that would be good in my opinion. When I say overall, I mean most stable framerate, where it does not fluctuate down to 3 fps for a certain frame.

Yah well I don''t want to go below 24 (I pretty sure that''s the threshold of animation, below that it becomes choppy) but the right now the frame rate is rather stable, so I''m happy with that. Thanks for your opinion, anyone else?
- Ben