Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xidis

best C++ book for complete beginners?

I''ve been searching around the internet looking at books that teach C++ programming from the ground up for someone who has never programed. Most of them have gotten good and bad reviews which doesnt help me at all. If you know of any good book, I''d really appreciate it. Thanks.

I would most likely recommend:

Accelerated C++:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020170353X/103-5494309-5967859?v=glance

or if you were not totally new to programming I would probably say C++ Primer.. but if you are brand new to programming I would probably stay away from it =]

Have you looked at the reviews at accu.org yet?

Here''s their list of recommended beginners C++ books:
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/beginner_s_c__.htm#recbook

The only ones I''m familiar with on that list are Accelerated C++, Thinking in C++, and The C++ Programming Language. Although all three are excellent, I definitely wouldn''t start with The C++ Programming Language as a first programming book, and even the other two assume that you have at least some previous programming experience.

I know that doesn''t help much, but maybe you can read a few of those reviews and find a couple that are geared toward a total beginner.

quote:
Original post by McCoy
I reccomend ''Beginning Visual C++'' by Ivor Hornton, Wrox Press.

I''ve got ''Beginning C++,'' by the same author and publisher, and I recommend it. I haven''t looked at ''Beginning Visuall C++,'' but I''d assume it''s pretty much the same, with some specialization and added content specific to the Visual C++ compiler/IDE.

Essential C++ -> C++ Primer -> The C++ Programming Language

After reading these three books, you'll be accomplished in C++.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In history, only steam engine and electromagnetics impelled human beings to make progress......

[edited by - Challenger17 on November 16, 2003 9:00:11 PM]