private:
    renderer_c      _Renderer;
};

renderer_c* core_c :: rendererPointer() const
{
    return &_Renderer;
}

This is spitten out when I try to compile it with VC++.NET:

error C2440: ''return'' : cannot convert from ''const renderer_c *'' to ''renderer_c *'' Conversion loses qualifiers

Why is this? Taking away the const keyword is not only bad design, but it means that I have to convert more const-methods to non-consts one.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Advertisement
That member is const, so therefore anything it returns must be const (if you return a pointer of a member the user could modify that part of the class). Remove the const and it should work.
OK, I have to admit that I''m not fully up on how const works is situations like this, but my understanding of it is this:

1. Saying that the member function is const means you''re promising not to change any member variables.
2. Returning a pointer to a member variables means that the variable can be changed.
3. 1 & 2 conflict

To solve this you should either:

1. make the member function return type const
2. make the member function non-const

If this is wrong in anyway then please correct me,

Enigma
Oh well, I guess I'll have to make them non-constant since the point is really just to encapsulate the core classes I have, in ONE core-class. I wonder why I didn't just make the members private in the first place since the point is that the core classes should be editable.

[edited by - Enselic on November 16, 2003 10:52:06 AM]
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Be warned, you cant use non const member functions on const objects, you might be better off creating two of the same function, one for const, one for none const.
I have not planned on making the core of my game const

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement