DirectX for Linux rumor

Started by
8 comments, last by sSimontis 20 years, 4 months ago
A while back I heard rumors that a group was trying to port DirecTX to Linux. I do not remember where I read it, but is is true, and if so, is there a website I can go to for more information? Scott Simontis e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Advertisement
Perhaps you''re talking about mono, the attempt to port .NET and C# to linux?

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."
maybe you are thinking of wineX which allows you to run (some) directx games in linux. the website for the project is www.transgaming.com. you have to pay if you want prepackaged binaries or you can download the source for free, although setting it up is harder that way.

edit: clicky

[edited by - necromancer_df on November 16, 2003 11:16:40 AM]
I believe that the WineX project is working on something like that. They are like the Wine project in that they are creating a Windows-like library so that Windows apps can run "natively" in Linux. I believe WineX is doing the same but more geared towards gaming, and therefore DirectX.

Could be wrong tho... its been known to happen

i think what he means is neither wine(x) nor mono.

i''ve heard of this some time ago too and i think it was a project on sourceforge (absolutely not sure, just do a search on opengl&directx)

btw it is actually just an attempt to port direct draw/3d to opengl not all of directx.

besides that winex has afaik a nearly complete dx7 implementation..
http://mitglied.lycos.de/lousyphreak/
I''ve seen it too...

-> Searching....
Bingo: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxglwrap
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
Did any of you actually take the time to go and look at the documentation on the web site? It's an OGL wrapper for DX for Winblows. Nothing more. SF is not only for Linux stuff.

As for DX for Linux, I had started to write the framework once but then I decided that SDL and OGL were all that I needed.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator & WebMaster GuLSE]

[edited by - cyberdrek on November 17, 2003 7:02:43 PM]
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote:in order to run DirectX 8 application running on other platform than Windows

* Environment: Cocoa (MacOS X), Win32 (MS Windows), X11 Applications
Sure sounds like its meant for linux to me...

The official zorx website

[edited by - clum on November 17, 2003 10:38:56 PM]
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Keep in mind 99% of the stuff on sourceforge is vaporware...

(99% is a number I pulled out of thin air, but seems about right to me).

(edit: clarification)

[edited by - Garfong on November 19, 2003 8:36:14 AM]
quote:Original post by Cyberdrek
Did any of you actually take the time to go and look at the documentation on the web site? It''s an OGL wrapper for DX for Winblows. Nothing more. SF is not only for Linux stuff.

I think you''ve been looking with your nose. For now, it''s windows, but they are (or perhaps where) certainly working for portability to other platforms. Not specifically Linux in this case, but good old BeOS. From the FAQ:
quote:I have developed a Direct3D 8 program. How will I compile it under BeOS ?
The interfaces will be the same. Of course, depending on the evolution of the OpenGL extensions, features like single pass rendering, cube mapping will be implemented. You will have to rewrite the Window''s messaging process, but under BeOS, it''s more simpler. We also provide a tool that converts Visual C++ resources into BeOS source code. Direct X headers will be modified to be platform independent too.

Guess if it''d be available for BeOS it wouldn''t take much time before someone ported it to Linux...

Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement