Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juuso

Motion sickness

A 30-minute testing session with my new camera controller inspired a question: is motion sickness caused by a computer game considered annoying or realistic and fun in a kinky way? When there is no reason to cause motion sickness - for example the character standing still - it is of course evil, but what about situations where the player''s character would certainly be fighting with their stomach? Clicky for an example screenshot. The motion sickness itself is not the desired effect of the camera movement. The camera motion looks really good in my opinion, and increases immersion as the world doesn''t seem awkwardly static anymore. As a side effect, in certain gut-clenching situations, I get nauseous. So I''m asking for your opinions. Is this desirable realism, or a heavy cost for the otherwise good(?) camera?

I''m just not affected by motion-sickness, but i remember playing Descent in a LAN and seeing my friends feeling VERY dizzy.
Giving the user an option is the best choice since not everyone likes to puke around P)

[offtopic]
puke = to vomit (???)
bad... bad memory...
[/offtopic]

Motion sickness is simply when your brain feels one thing but sees another, or in more common cases when your brain can''t tell what it feels.

Spinning for a while gets the fluid in the inner ear spinning, and causes one to feel like they are still spinning even after they''ve stopped; until this fluid stops, you will still feel unbalanced.

Vision dominated by motion, but without feeling the same motion, will cause some people to get motion-sick, because their brain can''t get itself to ignore one input or the other.

Good Descent players have good spacial awareness combined with an ability to ignore their sense of balance''s say on things; they see and know what is around them in-game, and can ignore the fact that they aren''t really diving and rolling and spinning in their seats.

don''t forget:
90% of the asians/japaneses are getting motion sick when playing - this is the reason why most asian games are in 3rd person camera perspective.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature