Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crispy

The Creative Contest thread (follow-up)

Questions by numbers: 1) Who''s participating/not participating 2) Do you have a script? 3) How long do you project your demo to be? 4) Will you be using extensions (what will the minimum card/CPU be it will run on)? 5) Have you started yet? My answers: 1] hopefully, because I''ve already got my butt off the bench 2] a partial one 3] 3+ minutes according to current plans 4] none (TNT GPU, 1GHz+ CPU) 5] yup Your turn.

I would positivley love to do so, not only to support NeHe, but to take a shot at the grand prize. I am unfortunatly tied down by school and will therefore not be able to participate.

[edited by - tHiSiSbOb on November 16, 2003 10:29:52 PM]

Hmm, I wasn't going to enter, due to lack of time, but I just read that source code is optional.

I could use an engine im working on (but i can't make the sorce public because I'm using it for a game I'm working with several people on.

I have no time now with school and work, but come december i could have 2 solid weeks to work on it.

I don't know if doing this with no sorce would be in bad taste.

[edited by - skow on November 16, 2003 12:55:53 AM]

quote:
Original post by Crispy
Questions by numbers:

1) Who''s participating/not participating
2) Do you have a script?
3) How long do you project your demo to be?
4) Will you be using extensions (what will the minimum card/CPU be it will run on)?
5) Have you started yet?

1) Not sure yet. Need a definite closing time for the thing. If its before January I probably won''t as I still have to work (and drink).
2) Not a script, but more of an animation controling thing.
3) Between 1 to 3 minutes.
4) No extensions - aiming for any GeForce 2 level or above card. Need a fast machine though with lots of RAM.
5) Using the base of another program/method I was working on for what exists of it so far. Nothing really big yet.

1) - If it closes a few weeks after January 1st, sure (I''m going to have the house to myself for about 2 weeks - time for coding and no sleep )
2) Nope
3) Around 2-3 minutes
4) A couple - register combiners, vertex programs... I''ve only got a GF2, so it should run on most peoples cards
5) Nope

My Website | Everything you need to know about 3D Graphics | Google | Search the Forums

1) I definitely plan on participating
2) I''ve storyboarded a basic script outline
3) 2-3 mins
4) I want to use cubemapping and vertex/fragment programs so I''m looking at GF1+ (GF3+ for fragment program effects) but I might have a scaled down mode that TNT cards can run, time allowing I''d like it to at least run on most hardware, but to look better on faster cards
5) I''ve been getting individual effects/technologies working in their own test programs. I''ll only start putting them all together once I''ve got an indication of how much of what I want done is possible in the time available

Guest Anonymous Poster
1: I think i will (?time?), it would be my first entry for any realtime thinks
2: No
3: Don t know so far. Like everyone maybe 2 - 3 Minutes
4: I have a geforce4ti. i am not looking for other Computers
5: No, not at all. I will start in December maybe.

quote:
Original post by Crispy
Questions by numbers:
2) Do you have a script?
4) Will you be using extensions (what will the minimum card/CPU be it will run on)?
5) Have you started yet?

1) Yes!
2) No. I know what I want to have in demo but I don''t have a general design.
3) ~2 minutes. Don''t realy know.
4) VP, VBO, RC,... It will run on GF and up, but you''ll need GF3 to get some nice FX. I might add option to support TNT but I doubt it can handle the triangle count I have. I''ll need some more testing (and testers ) to see where to cut the line.
5) Yes. Slowly adding effects to it.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

For the above people unsure about the deadline it is midnight (MST) Jan 14th, 2004.
For more info see:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/contests/contest.asp?contest=08

quote:
Original post by Crispy
Questions by numbers:

2) Do you have a script?
5) Have you started yet?

1)Yes
2)Just started on it recently.
3)In the current plan, it will run as long as the user lets it, but I may have a timed option.
4)Probably wont use any or the very widely supported ones.
5)No

1)This time I will try to participate in one of NeHe''s contests, all that is holding me back currently is time.
2)I don''t have a script yet
3)I expect my project/demo to be about 1 to 4 minutes long - no shorter and no longer.
4)I''ll be using no extensions(Geforce 4 MX440-SE and 700Mhz Celeron)
5)I''ve been compiling lots of functions that pretain to eye candy that are exportable to other projects eg rain, fire, light, spheres, and so on so I will be able to use them.

======
Very good programming site:Programmers Unlimited
2) Do you have a script?
5) Have you started yet?
---------------------------------

1] will try
2] no
3] don''t know
4] will run on anything higher than a g400.
5] will continue on a demo I began working on for the previous constest. (my gfx-card stopped working when I uppgraded my system.)

quote:
Original post by _DarkWIng_
1) Yes!

Damn. I mean, nice to have you with us . I'm really looking forward to your entry, but you should know your participation in these contests decimates pretty much anyone else's chances of winning. Hope this contest is also about creativity in addition to eyecandy because there's no way I can match the quality you can squeeze out of a GF3 (simply because I don't even have access to such a card). Nice to see people are planning on taking part of this thing, though - let's hope for a tight contest.

BTW, who's releasing their source? I for one, will only be releasing portions of the source code on request because some of it is taken from a commercial project I'm currently part of - even though it's all written by me, I can't give it out just like that...

edit: typos

[edited by - crispy on November 17, 2003 9:11:05 PM]

quote:
Original post by Crispy
quote:
1) Yes!

Damn. I mean, nice to have you with us . I''m really looking forward to your entry, but you should know your participation in these contests decimates pretty much anyone else''s chances of winning. Hope this contest is also about creativity in addition to eyecandy because there''s no way I can match the quality you can squeeze out of a GF3 (simply because I don''t even have access to such a card). Nice to see people are planning on taking part of this thing, though - let''s hope for a tight contest.

Sorry. I didn''t meant to scare anyone off. I''s good to be apreciated but it also puts a preasure on me becouse people always expect something better than the last time.
Another thing to note is the way contest will be judged. If it gets judged by general public my odds a down quite a bit since my target platform is GF3 and up. No radeon, no TNT. If it gets judged by Creative, odds are a bit better since they only use nVidia cards.

quote:
Original post by Crispy
BTW, who''s releasing their source? I for one, will only be releasing portions of the source code on request because some of it is taken from a commercial project I''m currently part of - even though it''s all written by me, I can''t give it out just like that...

I will release parts of source code. Depends how far the engine progress will go.

quote:
Original post by Crispy
I''m really looking forward to your entry, but you should know your participation in these contests decimates pretty much anyone else''s chances of winning.

I''m tempted to do the contest just to prove you wrong there. Unfortunately I haven''t nearly the time. Damn degree.

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.

Im thinking of entering... Actually I have already designed what I want to create, and have even begun modelling the "world". It''ll prob be a good 2-3 minutes long.

I''m not sure yet I would release the code, but then again, it won''t be that impressive either. Extentions haven''t been decided yet. I do plan to use some fog-effects, but I don''t know if I need extentions for it.

1) Who's participating/not participating
2) Do you have a script?
5) Have you started yet?

------------------------------

1) I'll try to (like the other contests before... :-)
2) Don't have one yet but I'll think of using scripts.
3) Don't know yet?
4) Minimum requirements will be Vertex Programs, Multitexturing (2TU), VBO, DOT3 texture env, so a GF1 schould be enough
Beside there will be a second rendering path with VPs & FPs for NV3x and R3xx
5) Jyp

quote:
Original post by Crispy
BTW, who's releasing their source? I for one, will only be releasing portions of the source code on request because some of it is taken from a commercial project I'm currently part of - even though it's all written by me, I can't give it out just like that...

I will give source code on request too! I think this will be the best!

BTW which effects are you going to implement?

PS: Are you all coding for NV cards?? I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro and won't be able to watch all of your wonderful demos (especially Darkwing's one! :D )??? *gg*

--------------------------------------------------------

"If it looks good, it is good computer graphics"
"If it looks like computer graphics, it is bad computer graphics"

Corrail
corrail@gmx.at
ICQ#59184081

[edited by - Corrail on November 19, 2003 1:55:03 PM]

quote:
Original post by Corrail

Even though these can be considered a war secret, I can say that I won''t be aiming on the might and capabilities of the graphics card so much as the processor power.

>> _DarkWIng_ said: Another thing to note is the way contest will be judged. If it gets judged by general public my odds a down quite a bit since my target platform is GF3 and up. No radeon, no TNT. If it gets judged by Creative, odds are a bit better since they only use nVidia cards.

I''d much appreciate a judging that would take into account the overall effect of the demo, not just the eye candy - IMO we''ve had enough of that by now (unless someone can come up with a new ultra-realistic realtime fur algorith or something like that).

quote:
Original post by python_regious
I''m tempted to do the contest just to prove you wrong there. Unfortunately I haven''t nearly the time. Damn degree.

It''s a shame, that school, really. I''m a senior at Uni as well (?) and, quite similarly, I have a ton of things to do/keep track of. Nevertheless, I''m hoping to find enough time during the holidays to cook something up. BTW, I never said I wouldn''t try to prove _DarkWIng_ wrong myself...

OK,.. so everyone including me, is having exams

quote:
Original post by Corrail

Depends on HW it's running on. Specific effects are still a "war secret". The will be a few standard ones like bumpmapping and a few exotic ones.

quote:
Original post by Crispy
I'd much appreciate a judging that would take into account the overall effect of the demo, not just the eye candy - IMO we've had enough of that by now (unless someone can come up with a new ultra-realistic realtime fur algorith or something like that).

I'm not aiming for a single FX. There will only be one scene filled with different effects. More for general impression and setting the atomsphere.

quote:
Original post by Corrail
I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro and won't be able to watch all of your wonderful demos

Radeons will run on ARB extensions only. I would love to write ARB_FP shaders but I simply don't have access to a machine that supports it, and writing them in SW mode is just not possibe. (I've tried and got like 0.1FPS )

And my 2 questions:
1) What will be the commpressed/uncompressed size of your demo.
2) More of a dare : Anyone up for showing a little screenshot of their "work of progress"

[edited by - _DarkWIng_ on November 20, 2003 5:20:25 AM]

finished my exams since monday, I''ve been a free man. Except for the excessive amount of overtime I am doing at work But $20 to $30 an hour is pretty good.

Anyway, the size I am aiming for for the demo depends on the textures. 8mb might be able to cut it. add in 3mb of sound track, gives you 11mb. I have a tendancy to go overkill on texture resolution in all my programs, so alot of 1024x1024 bitmap font textures etc is pretty common for me...even if I only need 128x128 at most. Luckily I use png.

No screenshots of it. Just the engine but that doesn''t show much. The advantage of it is just the high frame rate (alot of data handling) using some of the more uncommon opengl features. Otherwise it''s just a normal run of the mill looking thing at the moment.

I have a question though:
1) Are you using a story line? if so, do you mind sharing?

I''m currently tossing up between some made up action sequences, but am thinking about stopping that and using either a scene from a Shakespeare play (probably macbeth - but it''s a bit dull) or some aesop''s fables.
Story line is better that way, but if I go for the action ones I can stick in some music and a whole lot more sound effects.
I haven''t written anything for about 10 years (story wise - it was a fantasy story involving some guy with a hat and some other bloke with a big sword hacking away at him), and since I''ve pretty much numbed my imagination I find it hard to think of a good story. That leaves me with royalty free ones (such as macbeth) and just action sequences with eye (and ear) candy.

quote:
OK,.. so everyone including me, is having exams

And my 2 questions:
1) What will be the commpressed/uncompressed size of your demo.
2) More of a dare : Anyone up for showing a little screenshot of their "work of progress"

Not me . I finished my exams a year ago. Now its only work

To answer your question, at the moment I dont know. I can show you a screenshot of part of my work, I am making it part by part. So it looks quite incomplete at the moment

[edited by - CRACK123 on November 20, 2003 9:24:58 AM]

quote:

I may not be able to complete a project for the contest, but I do plan on entering, with no expectations of winning . Having School with exams coming up, and work doesn''t leave very much time at all.

As for a screenshot of what I''m working on, you can find one here.

I am currently in the process of porting some of my old work to C#, and creating an actual rendering engine using the Tao.OpenGL wrapper along with the SDL.Net wrapper. That screenshot just shows off some of the things I have working now.

J.W.