• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crispy

The Creative Contest thread (follow-up)

This topic is 5678 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK,.. so everyone including me, is having exams

quote:
Original post by Corrail
BTW which effects are you going to implement?

Depends on HW it's running on. Specific effects are still a "war secret". The will be a few standard ones like bumpmapping and a few exotic ones.

quote:
Original post by Crispy
I'd much appreciate a judging that would take into account the overall effect of the demo, not just the eye candy - IMO we've had enough of that by now (unless someone can come up with a new ultra-realistic realtime fur algorith or something like that).

I'm not aiming for a single FX. There will only be one scene filled with different effects. More for general impression and setting the atomsphere.

quote:
Original post by Corrail
I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro and won't be able to watch all of your wonderful demos

Radeons will run on ARB extensions only. I would love to write ARB_FP shaders but I simply don't have access to a machine that supports it, and writing them in SW mode is just not possibe. (I've tried and got like 0.1FPS )

And my 2 questions:
1) What will be the commpressed/uncompressed size of your demo.
2) More of a dare : Anyone up for showing a little screenshot of their "work of progress"

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

[edited by - _DarkWIng_ on November 20, 2003 5:20:25 AM]

Advertisement
finished my exams since monday, I''ve been a free man. Except for the excessive amount of overtime I am doing at work But $20 to $30 an hour is pretty good.

Anyway, the size I am aiming for for the demo depends on the textures. 8mb might be able to cut it. add in 3mb of sound track, gives you 11mb. I have a tendancy to go overkill on texture resolution in all my programs, so alot of 1024x1024 bitmap font textures etc is pretty common for me...even if I only need 128x128 at most. Luckily I use png.

No screenshots of it. Just the engine but that doesn''t show much. The advantage of it is just the high frame rate (alot of data handling) using some of the more uncommon opengl features. Otherwise it''s just a normal run of the mill looking thing at the moment.

I have a question though:
1) Are you using a story line? if so, do you mind sharing?

I''m currently tossing up between some made up action sequences, but am thinking about stopping that and using either a scene from a Shakespeare play (probably macbeth - but it''s a bit dull) or some aesop''s fables.
Story line is better that way, but if I go for the action ones I can stick in some music and a whole lot more sound effects.
I haven''t written anything for about 10 years (story wise - it was a fantasy story involving some guy with a hat and some other bloke with a big sword hacking away at him), and since I''ve pretty much numbed my imagination I find it hard to think of a good story. That leaves me with royalty free ones (such as macbeth) and just action sequences with eye (and ear) candy.

quote:
Original post by _DarkWIng_
OK,.. so everyone including me, is having exams

And my 2 questions:
1) What will be the commpressed/uncompressed size of your demo.
2) More of a dare : Anyone up for showing a little screenshot of their "work of progress"

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

Not me . I finished my exams a year ago. Now its only work

To answer your question, at the moment I dont know. I can show you a screenshot of part of my work, I am making it part by part. So it looks quite incomplete at the moment

[edited by - CRACK123 on November 20, 2003 9:24:58 AM]

quote:
Original post by _DarkWIng_

I may not be able to complete a project for the contest, but I do plan on entering, with no expectations of winning . Having School with exams coming up, and work doesn''t leave very much time at all.

As for a screenshot of what I''m working on, you can find one here.

I am currently in the process of porting some of my old work to C#, and creating an actual rendering engine using the Tao.OpenGL wrapper along with the SDL.Net wrapper. That screenshot just shows off some of the things I have working now.

J.W.

how long did that take you? no way you just started on that...

now i can throw away my plans, as they were a lot like yours, but i still have to model almost everything, and dont have an engine yet either

don''t give up.

either a) he might get first, but you may get second

or b) if your engines are similar, you might come ahead if you pull lets say twice the frame rate or something with some good coding.

or c) i loose, but gain some respect for trying hehheh.

Darkwing, your demo is just 1 room isnt it? (looks like that to me at least)

*argl* Darkwing...
Is there any chance for others???? :-)

--------------------------------------------------------

"If it looks good, it is good computer graphics"
"If it looks like computer graphics, it is bad computer graphics"

Corrail
corrail@gmx.at
ICQ#59184081

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!