• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crispy

The Creative Contest thread (follow-up)

This topic is 5679 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
Original post by strider44
I've got to get revenge sometime for all of those glColors, It's sickening to type each one!

I couldn't agree more

[edit - that reminds me I should probably answer the thread]

1) Who's participating/not participating?:
Yup. Gonna give it a try.

2) Do you have a script?
Yup. I do indeedy.

3) How long do you project your demo to be?
5 minutes?

4) Will you be using extensions (what will the minimum card/CPU be it will run on)?
Yes. Quite a few. But it should be possible to fall back without them. And there is always D3D as a last resort.
I'm aming for it to run nice on my P4 + radeon on max detail at a high res. I'll obviously do some work on poly counts and such later though If I have time.

5) Have you started yet?
Yup.

| - Project-X - On hold (kindof ).. - | - adDeath - | - my windows XP theme - | - email me - |

[edited by - RipTorn on November 26, 2003 11:07:22 PM]

Advertisement
I dont have a screenshot for you guys/girls but I can tell you my graphics are looking SWEET. I may not have those fancy models shown before, but I definately have the "cool graphics"-factor covered. (running it in 1600x1200 like I do myself is NOT recommended for older systems :D :D )

At the moment I''ve pretty much modeled most objects (not that many) but have only implemented one (with textures and materials). Next up are the effects

I''m going for a fairly abstract theme myself. Seems like most of you people are doing scenes from the ''real world'' as it were. I''ve spent most of the time getting all my physics working right, only just now can I start doing cool things with graphics

well realism is one thing... but its not really what im aiming at. Im going for atmosphere. Even if I dont win, or get anywhere near winning, i like this contest, cuz im definately learning. (its my first demo)

1) Yes, I also plan on entering if I can

2) Not yet

3) 1-2 minutes

4) Ya, I think I''ll be using extensions. Mainly cube-mapping, and arb FP, plus w/e I feel like when I''m writing the demo, so I guess I''m going for GF3+. (on the other hand, if I got the time to whip up some cool alg I thought of in my sleep, then I might be able to emulate my effects w/o FP or cubemap)

5) Only on a small sense (starting my engine).... Time''s against me until finals are over, but if the deadline is well into January, then I''ll probably be fine.

quote:
Original post by Missing Name
arb FP, plus w/e I feel like when I''m writing the demo, so I guess I''m going for GF3+.

ARB_FP is only supported on the NV30-35 chipsets ( FX ), and the equivelent ATI chip ( R350? ).

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.

Alright. I though I''d blow some fresh air in this thread. A little sneak üreview of what I''ve been up to (no specifics, though ):

I''ve spent quite a few hours reading up on new algorithms and perfecting my old implementations of different things. I''ve also been looking for an appropriate free TrueType font, but so far I have pretty much found nothing. Actually, I have one font that sort of qualifies as far as style goes, and it''s free (also for commercial use), but it still isn''t quite what I''m looking for.

I''ve written about 2 weeks worth of code only to add no more than 5 seconds of material to my demo - for me, this is quite worrying - not because I have a lack of ideas, but implementing stuff that takes place behind the scenes is, in a way, so unforgivingly disgratifying - you can''t see the result (yet), but it hogs up so much of your time coding-wise.

I''m so glad I have a junk of a graphics card - at least I won''t have to torture my head with how and where to implement advanced extensions (so far, I''m figuring, I won''t be using any, which doesn''t sound that good either...). Another upside is that, while striving for maximum quality, I''m also striving for very low requirements. The one thing I''m worried about, however, is the target CPU load, which greatly exceeds 1GHz and at some points even 2GHz...

My water is starting to look good, now the rest

(to join the party)
1] Yes
2] Not really
3] 3 - 5 minutes, loops after then
4] None yet, vertex shaders might be included
5] See picture above

[edited by - Living Monstrosity on December 1, 2003 9:54:21 AM]

[edited by - Living Monstrosity on December 1, 2003 10:14:22 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!