Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BinhNguyen

How do you determine an appropriate scale for your game?

Hi all! I''m trying to program an XCOM clone and I''m a bit hesitant to settle on an appropriate scale for my game. When I''m drawing 3d models and placing them I''ve always used the default values. Is there anything I should keep in mind for choosing a scale. If this is not clear what I''m trying to determine is as follows. Currently in DirectX a model height and width is about 100. 100 what I don''t know. All I''ve managed to do is load up a level mesh and a character mesh and they look about right. The reason I''m asking is to check out whether there will be any complications further down the line if I stick to this scale. A bit of a weird question, I know --- Today, is a good day to code.

This doesn''t matter, until you approach the limits of your variable types. Floats lose precision with very small and very large numbers, so just make sure that you stay within a reasonable range. If you are going to model a large terrain, there is no point in deciding that the units represent nanometres, or anything else silly.

You may think the scale matters, but actually it does not. As long as everything is to scale, including textures, the scale itself is totally irrelevant. You don''t want extremes, but otherwise it makes no difference, so choose whichever scale makes things easiest for you. For example, maybe 12 units = 1 meter, or 1 unit = 1 meter. My scale sort of accidentally ended up being 15 units = 10 feet, but that''s still pretty easy to work with.

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

in half-life (q2 engine) they made normal walls 128 units. i dont know if this makes the math faster (like bitshifts, i dont see how that would matter in 3d, anyway thats how they did)

if this is faster in any way (maybe someone else knows) you could consider making common things like the size a tile for example 128*128 units

anyway numbers like 128 (2^n) can be divided more times than for example 100 without getting lots of decimals (infinitely abled to divide by two if you count 1/2^n) so you might want to use it for that reason

[edited by - ueberbobo on November 17, 2003 6:58:22 PM]