Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizzy

RPG - text or tile

ok - i''m still working on an RPG for VB but i''m trying to decide if i should make it visual or text text is the only thing i''d know how to do now. tile i''d have to learn - and i''m not very good at the art. i could try to make it tiled - or maybe just use keyboard characters to make an ugly sort of map... i''m just not sure what to do. text seems easier - tile seems like it may turn out nicer.

well, start small then

make a text adventure, but try to use some "cool techniques" that can be applied when you do a graphical version. Like conversation trees and object management

}-- Programmer/Gamer/Dreamer --{

quote:
Original post by alnite
text isn''t gonna impress anyone.
go for tiles, you would eventually need it anyway.

Tiles aren''t gonna impress anyone. Go for 3D, you would eventually need it anyway.

Seriously, there''s nothing wrong with making a text RPG first. It''ll help you get an understanding of basic game mechanics without the additional headache of managing graphics. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but text is a fine place to start.

quote:
Original post by DaTroof
quote:
Original post by alnite

Tiles aren''t gonna impress anyone. Go for 3D, you would eventually need it anyway.

Seriously, there''s nothing wrong with making a text RPG first. It''ll help you get an understanding of basic game mechanics without the additional headache of managing graphics. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but text is a fine place to start.

I concur. Don''t ever do something you''re not able to just because others are. Start where you are comfortable and you''ll find that there are still plenty of topics to learn about with something as "simple" as a text based game. Cheers and good luck!

quote:
Original post by Wizzy
yeah - if i were trying to impress people i wouldn''t be making a game in VB. i''m just trying to make a fun game

Then what''re you waiting for?! :-p Good luck.

quote:
Original post by Wizzy
yeah - if i were trying to impress people i wouldn''t be making a game in VB. i''m just trying to make a fun game
Language doesn''t matter to make a fun game. Anyway, it''s up to you, but if I were you I would use tiles though I had to learn more APIs.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Text games don''t impress anyone? Bah I say! There are still many followers of interactive fiction out there. Text-based gaming is to the computer as old-time radio programs were to the radio. As long as you can use your imagination, you can play text-based games. I sound like a salesman, but really I just like writing text-based games and have supported the genre since I first played Zork I.

Also, writing a text-based game allows you to think freely with hardly any limitations to what you want to do. If anything, you can at least make it part of the design phase of your game (and if you stink at creating 3-d games like I do, at least you can have something to fall back on).

- Mr. Anonymous Jr.

And I''m not registered. I just came upon this posting. Someone had to defend text-based gaming.

Guest Anonymous Poster
A well made, text based rpg would beat just about every tile rpg I''ve seen out there, in my opinion... The possibilities are plentiful, almost any feature or gameplay method you want to add (short of seeing a poorly drawn character sprite jerking from place to place dodging any monster at will) you can code easily within a text setting. The level of detail and freedom can be upped dramatically, while still being relatively easy to code...

i tried to make a 2d shooter with vb and tiles using windows api.

It was 800by 600, as soon as i got it a little more advanced it slowed way way way down..my tiles were like 30by30 aswell

use directx for it, or c++

.....oh
because you are starting new, just work out how the tiles etc work in vb, use pictures its easier and looks better.

[edited by - johnnyBravo on December 29, 2003 3:26:46 AM]

Remember that the underlying game structures that you use for a text based game can be IDENTICAL to those used in a high-poly 3d game, the only thing that differs is the graphical aspect.

It kinda sounds like you want to move on from text based games so why not start using ASCII graphics - like Rogue or Nethack. It''s a natural progression towards tile based RPG''s but doesn''t bog you down with having to create and manage tile graphics. There''s no reason you can''t create a believable and immersive world using this route and as a bonus you''ll be learning about the underlying structures of RPG games without the hassle of complicated graphical interfaces.

I used C++ to create ASCII games using the windows console. If you want to move beyond that into tiles then DirectX and C++ is great but of course, a programming language just helps you create a game, which in turn tells your story - the game and the story can be created any way you like so which language you use is pretty irrelevant in that sense.

Good luck

Just chiming in to offer some alternatives to VB – there are languages that are specific to IF that may be of use or interest to the OP or anyone else for that matter.

This page
Interactive Fiction Programming offers some FAQ’s regarding which system is best and then has links to TADS and Inform – have fun!

Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
The WM_NULL message performs no operation. An application sends the WM_NULL message if it wants to post a message that the recipient window will ignore. - MSDN

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi, I want to make a text-based RPG, but Im not sure, what program do you need to use? Ive searched all over and never found out. Can you help me?

Chaos

Guest Anonymous Poster
you would have to learn to program. I advise googling for a free c++ compiler and tutorials on the language

quote:
Original post by DaTroof
quote:
Original post by alnite

3D isn''t gonna impress anyone. Go for VR.

And frankly, if you''re doing this to learn, I suggest going as far into the uncharted as you dare. You''ll land flat on your face eventually, but you''ll have gained immensely valuable knowledge along the way and you''ll be able to dive deeper the next time. And if your project ends up failing because of it, well, you''re doing this to learn, no?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hey Text games are great! And i''m pretty into the music buiss and once i made som fantastic music and aded it into a text adventure game, it turned out realy good! So don''t underestimate text games. You can if you wan''t have a text game with music and still-pictures. Like you display an image of where you are ex at a farm, and play country music