RPG - text or tile

Started by
16 comments, last by Wizzy 19 years, 11 months ago
ok - i''m still working on an RPG for VB but i''m trying to decide if i should make it visual or text text is the only thing i''d know how to do now. tile i''d have to learn - and i''m not very good at the art. i could try to make it tiled - or maybe just use keyboard characters to make an ugly sort of map... i''m just not sure what to do. text seems easier - tile seems like it may turn out nicer.
Advertisement
well, start small then

make a text adventure, but try to use some "cool techniques" that can be applied when you do a graphical version. Like conversation trees and object management

}-- Programmer/Gamer/Dreamer --{
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
text isn''t gonna impress anyone.
go for tiles, you would eventually need it anyway.
quote:Original post by alnite

Tiles aren''t gonna impress anyone. Go for 3D, you would eventually need it anyway.

Seriously, there''s nothing wrong with making a text RPG first. It''ll help you get an understanding of basic game mechanics without the additional headache of managing graphics. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but text is a fine place to start.
Post Extant Graphical MUD
quote:Original post by DaTroof
quote:Original post by alnite

Tiles aren''t gonna impress anyone. Go for 3D, you would eventually need it anyway.

Seriously, there''s nothing wrong with making a text RPG first. It''ll help you get an understanding of basic game mechanics without the additional headache of managing graphics. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but text is a fine place to start.

I concur. Don''t ever do something you''re not able to just because others are. Start where you are comfortable and you''ll find that there are still plenty of topics to learn about with something as "simple" as a text based game. Cheers and good luck!
yeah - if i were trying to impress people i wouldn''t be making a game in VB. i''m just trying to make a fun game
quote:Original post by Wizzy
yeah - if i were trying to impress people i wouldn''t be making a game in VB. i''m just trying to make a fun game

Then what''re you waiting for?! :-p Good luck.
quote:Original post by Wizzy
Language doesn''t matter to make a fun game. Anyway, it''s up to you, but if I were you I would use tiles though I had to learn more APIs.
Lest we forget the cult following Nethack has.
Text games don''t impress anyone? Bah I say! There are still many followers of interactive fiction out there. Text-based gaming is to the computer as old-time radio programs were to the radio. As long as you can use your imagination, you can play text-based games. I sound like a salesman, but really I just like writing text-based games and have supported the genre since I first played Zork I.

Also, writing a text-based game allows you to think freely with hardly any limitations to what you want to do. If anything, you can at least make it part of the design phase of your game (and if you stink at creating 3-d games like I do, at least you can have something to fall back on).

- Mr. Anonymous Jr.

And I''m not registered. I just came upon this posting. Someone had to defend text-based gaming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement