Quick question...

Started by
4 comments, last by Danny Pellegrene 20 years, 5 months ago
What do you all use to detect keyboard input? getc() is slow. can someone tell me a fast way?
Advertisement
I windows i use direct input, takes some getting use to but its quite powerfull. Other then that i would suggest you use SDL. I don''t recommend writing your own keyboard layer unless you are crazy..

Later, Ben
quote:
I don''t recommend writing your own keyboard layer unless you are crazy

Can you explain why not? I use opengl and dont want to use directX if i can help it. It would be nice to have my own keyboard input library. Is it too difficult, or not cross platform, or what?
I use SDL for my stuff. I like it because I don't have to worry about window creation and it makes it really easy to port to other platforms. While I doubt that SDL input is as powerful as directx input (I really have no information to base that on, just a guess), it works great for me.

[edit]I use opengl and SDL works fine with it.[/edit]

[edited by - Mr Grinch on November 16, 2003 10:23:58 PM]
When creating small demos/applications I use the Windows API function GetAsyncKeyState() for my keyboard input, and it is very fast as far as I know.
Nobody uses getc(), it''s for console apps.

Just catch the keypressed event if you want to catch eg. the esc key for quitting. Or keydown/keyup to track movement.
But it''s probably better to use directinput when playing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement