Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimywang

Can somebody give me some advice on FPS programming

ok,i am doing my FPS game for my final year project.Currently i finish a Wolfenstein 3D style demo,but my aim is to do a clone a DOOM.at the moment i have two idea: the first one is create my FPS with BSP tree and advance raycasting. the second one is create FPS with advance raycasting.basically the idea is that,the map will be divided into certain section.for each ray i am casting,the intersection between the ray and every single wall in the section will be calculated and the wall which is closest to player is going to be draw.if there is no such wall,then repeat the process for next section. this is my second game project.i made a tic tac toe last year.for this project i still have about 7 months to go,but i have to do all the AI and special effect as well. my question is according to my experience and time left,which one of these two ways is the best one for me?

the professor in the uni wants to see something acadamic rather than game design.also i am using directX just for creating a surface,animation and bitmap clipping.the problem is i just don''t have enough exprience to judge which one of those two algorithm is the best one for me.

If you are at ease with BSP style data (list chained, trees) I advise to you the first one. But, you must to have an idea on how do raycasting on this type of data.
The second algorithm you propose seems to be easier to implement but it might be slow with a big level: for each ray you must calculate maybe 10 intersections or +. Maybe 10-15 rays for each column of the screen ...

I know what you think: its just suposition of number, it''s why the best, in fact, is to implement the two ! You have no time, but bring time in what is important.

Moreover ... Gamedev-Programers are here to help you

!o)